E36 Instrument Gauge Cluster M Logo Replacement - Backlight Compatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Instrument Gauge Cluster M Logo Replacement - Backlight Compatible

​ Finally, an OE grade replacement for the faded ///M in your E36 M3 gauge cluster.

Purchase here: https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...ght-compatible
    • Fits all E36 clusters M and Non-M
    • Translucent for backlight compatibility
    • ~30 minute installation
    • Includes (1) M Logo replacement and installation directions

JPetro has an installation video in the below YouTube link.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFeIcbDTKX8&

Made using a 6 layer silk screen printing process utilizing OE Pantone colors on a 20mil plastic substrate.

Note: All ASC equipped cars have a bulb in place to illuminate the logo. Typically this is all 96-99 E36, possibly some older cars as well. If your vehicle doesn't have an ASC bulb, there are custom methods you will have to make to illuminate the logo. Some sample methods I used in the past are shown below.

​​
    www.msportparts.com | ig MSportParts

Non-ASC Backlight Options

Powered off the fog light
    ​​

​​

Powered off main cluster illumination
    ​​

​​​

Comment

Installation Directions and Tips

Please note: You must remove your steering wheel to remove the cluster. Feel free to struggle with trying to do it without, but I assure you the correct and easier way is to just remove it.

Start by removing the two torx screws at the top of the cluster.

Tilt the cluster forward from the top to be able to start sliding it out. Use a soft pry tool if needed. Do not use metal pry tools.

There are three harness clips on the backside of the cluster. They are a bit tricky to unclasp the first time you will do this.

With the cluster removed, you can start to disassemble it. There are 5 torx screws in these locations. You may also need to slice one of the stickers that bridges the back half to front half.

Pull apart the cluster and then remove the gauge section. This step isn't absolutely necessary, but it will make removing the next piece way easier.

Remove the part below so the modifications can be made to install the new M logo.

Now you have to cut the top off this part as shown below. Make sure it is a flush cut with no ridge left behind. You can sand down any ridge if you cut too high. Also note that if you make a proper cut, you can always put your stock piece back in. The cut will never be seen once installed.

Now you can install the new M logo in place of the cut off part! Please spend the time to ensure you properly align the new M logo. The position will be held once the finally assembly is completed and the 5 torx screws are fully secured. This is what applies the pressure to hold the position. Until those screws are torqued down, the logo may shift around, so it may take you a few tries to get perfect alignment.

Comment

Is the stock M part of the main light strip or a separate piece? It's been years since I had a cluster open.

For ASC this does away with the little asc light under the M logo right? Guess that is another option. Turn off ASC, M light goes on. Now you're in E36 "M track" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
          Is the stock M part of the main light strip or a separate piece? It's been years since I had a cluster open.

For ASC this does away with the little asc light under the M logo right? Guess that is another option. Turn off ASC, M light goes on. Now you're in E36 "M track" mode.
          You do have to cut the top off. I updated the third post so you can see.

Yep, it mimics the older and Euro M3 cluster logo but adds the backlight feature for applicable cars. That was actually my slogan 13 years ago when I made the first terrible batch. "Turn off the traction, turn on the fun".

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Small note. For owners with pre 94’s with tilt, removing the steering wheel should not be necessary and still be easy.

With the wheel tilted fully down there is room to slide the cluster out.

No contortionist diploma needed.

And to add some random info: the Euro M3 SMG clusters uses the same M logo/light setup as the US M3 with ASC.
            On the SMG’s the yellow light under the M (without text) is the shift light.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
              Small note. For owners with pre 94’s with tilt, removing the steering wheel should not be necessary and still be easy.

With the wheel tilted fully down there is room to slide the cluster out.

No contortionist diploma needed.

And to add some random info: the Euro M3 SMG clusters uses the same M logo/light setup as the US M3 with ASC.
              On the SMG’s the yellow light under the M (without text) is the shift light.
              I knew the SMG cluster had the small M with a pictograph under it. I wasn't aware it was a shift light. That's awesome.

I can second the tilt wheel allows the cluster to come out without wheel removal. It's tight though and awkward if you have never released the cluster clips before.

Comment

Those clips are nasty. Quite recessed. Ideally remove the knee panel and genty push the cluster down and out from behind.

Here’s a short clip (not mine) where you can see the shiftlight in action.

E36 also has launch control, but since it has a cable operated throttle, it’s less automated as on the SMGII.

Comment

Are there any words that section or is it just the yellow light?

Comment

​No words, just a yellow light.

That’s what I meant when I wrote “...the yellow light under the M (without text)...” in my previous post.

The effect is more dramatic in the lower gears. I could only find this clip and one worse where revs slowly climbs to the limiter.

It first starts flashing then becomes solid.

Found this picture in BMW TIS that clearly show it.

Comment

The instructions here were very straightforward. The only step that gave me any trouble was the final alignment of the M logo. Make sure you take your time and double check before tightening everything. I ended using a very small piece of scotch tape where the two pieces joined to ensure the alignment held.

This is a subtle, but excellent improvement to the cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by Keda View Post
                        The instructions here were very straightforward. The only step that gave me any trouble was the final alignment of the M logo. Make sure you take your time and double check before tightening everything. I ended using a very small piece of scotch tape where the two pieces joined to ensure the alignment held.

This is a subtle, but excellent improvement to the cluster.
                        That part is a pain, agreed. I just very carefully insert the rear half to hold alignment and then smack it around if it moves.

Tape is a good idea, but I bet I'll see someone eventually using tape over the entire thing. You will see that through the cast light, or it may rip off the silkscreen if repositioned. Use this method carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X