Tweeter housings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter housings

There's no 'For Sale' section in here, or maybe I missed it.
    I'm gonna turn out some tweeter housing pairs made from 6061 aluminum, unpainted, aluminum in the raw or bead blasted.
    The pics show raw, bead blasted and powder coated. Powdercoating is a possibility but it'll be expensive.
    They're made to fit the Bavarian Soundwerks tweeters but the stock tweeter should also fit if you can replace them or get them out in one piece.
    Drop a message if interested. There's about a dozen sets already out and about, and there's a midrange housing in progress but no
    projection on when the midranges will be ready.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2077.JPG Views:	0 Size:	664.9 KB ID:	1489 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080513_1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	832.4 KB ID:	1490Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080509_1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1491 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080477_1280.jpg Views:	2 Size:	657.6 KB ID:	1492
    Last edited by m3fan; 04-14-2020, 10:00 AM.

There is a classifieds section.
    https://www.mforum.net/forum/mforum-...parts-for-sale

Nice metal work, but are you aware BavSound already offers replacements?
    https://www.bavsound.com/products/e3...e-product-page

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      There is a classifieds section.
      https://www.mforum.net/forum/mforum-...parts-for-sale

Nice metal work, but are you aware BavSound already offers replacements?
      https://www.bavsound.com/products/e3...e-product-page
      Nope, I wasn't aware of the offering from Bavsound. I offered to sell them a number of my own housings some years back, but they declined. Now i know why.
      Up to this point I was making them as needed but since they offer the midrange housing too, I won't waste my time unless aluminum housings are required.

Needed one more click back for the 'for sale' section. Maybe a moderator can move it over.

Thanks for the update.
      m3fan
      Last edited by m3fan; 04-14-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I purchased a set from you several years ago, and I'm very satisfied with these. My BSW/Bavsound tweeters fit perfectly in these, and I don't have to worry about the housing cracking when these are installed into the door panels.

I've also reached out to BavSound several weeks ago about their housings, they stated that the housings are made from plastic.
        Last edited by Dr Ed; 04-14-2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by m3fan View Post

Nope, I wasn't aware of the offering from Bavsound. I offered to sell them a number of my own housings some years back, but they declined. Now i know why.
          Up to this point I was making them as needed but since they offer the midrange housing too, I won't waste my time unless aluminum housings are required.

Needed one more click back for the 'for sale' section. Maybe a moderator can move it over.

Thanks for the update.
          m3fan
          It's really good work and certainly a nice option. What is your pricing?

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

It's really good work and certainly a nice option. What is your pricing?
            I sold a number of tweeter housing sets for $70 a pair. They'll come with a small tube of E6000 to fix the tweeter in the housing along with a piece of piano wire that will also hold the tweeter in place. Use one or the other or both, whatever looks good to you. You will need the threaded ring to fix the whole unit in the door panel and you will need to carefully remove the front grill from the old housing and cement it into the aluminum housing. As far as color, I can give you some hints on what works. For instance, for the tan interior in my '92 325 what worked best is a color match at the local hardware store with some flat latex wall paint. After drying, a spray coat of semi-gloss or satin clear lacquer gave a good match for the luster and it crinkled the latex just enough to make it look like the grainy vinyl of the panel. Go figure. I've made some threaded rings from Delrin stock and they worked but it's a pain to make them. It is an option if the rings are broken or missing. Expensive though. These are definitely more expensive than the Bavsound units but that's how it is. I machine and cut the threads on each housing by hand and it takes time. The original three sets were used in my own E36's just to see if it could be done and then some were offered online. Bavsound units are black only but the aluminum units can be any color (no big deal) but they also look good in polished aluminum, bead blasted and with or without the grills. The Bavsound tweeters have a grill and you get a recessed look without the outer grills in the housing. Choices.

m3fan
            Last edited by m3fan; 04-15-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Nice job man... Although a bit pricey, I believe you get what you pay for and if this performs as well as it looks this would be a one of a kind product for our cars that will last far beyond the OEM product, making it well worth the price. Furthermore, I believe if you could find the exact color match for the most popular interiors and offer them up for sale then you could corner that market since apparently that's where Bavsound is lacking (my $.02)

Comment

The color match is most definitely an issue. The powdercoater can match the color and lustre pretty good. The problem is most of these guys have a minumum order requirement so doing just a few adds a lot of cost to the housings. Black is easy. Paint them flat black then add regular car wax a layer at a time to get the right finish. Powdercoat is a 10-20% gloss for black.

Comment

Working...
                X