No announcement yet.

Bran.stum's first 'M' - 2002 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you went back to clears. The ambers are cool, but date TiAh.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Here we are a few months later.

OEM evo flat blade windshield wipers

Temporary fix for the stupid headlight washer cover. Still trying to find a titan silver set of trim with no headlight washer cutouts.

Bray tempting me with an Eventuri intake.

Ended up going with something that made a little more induction noise (excuse the filthy engine bay)

The car got an Alpha N tune along with all new ITG filters. The induction noise is now louder than the Dinan exhaust lol. Car currently vents to atmosphere, looking into catch can options.

My car also received an oil change @206,041 miles.

I had been experiencing a slight stutter under WOT. I used a fuel system/injector cleaner that seems to have gotten rid of the stutter, at least for now. Also going to look into having the injectors rebuilt or replaced as well. Bray and I also deduced that my cats are potentially clogged/bad. Decided to go ahead and remedy that with some catless headers lol. Purchased this set of used Status Gruppe headers along with new hardware for the install, all OE of course. Headers aren't that pretty at the moment, will do something to make them more presentable.

Found a good deal on a pair of 2x2 CF CSL splitters. Supposedly made by the OEM manufacturer for the sets that ECS sells.

Installed. I use to prefer the one-piece lip, but now I've come around to seeing that splitters are far superior looking.

After the header install I'm going to have the car dynoed alongside my best friend's 335d.
      My next focus is to finally start accumulating parts for the rear subframe. Currently undecided on whether I will go the Vincebar route or with the Puretech x-brace. I'm honestly dying to see how my untouched 206k mile subframe has held up. There are no noticeable cracks around the mounting points, but I of course won't know the true condition until the subframe and fuel tank are dropped.
      Last edited by bran.stum; 01-25-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Post header install, don’t have any good pics of the process. Original cats were bad, one of them had actually become dislodged and was shaking around in the manifold. Car is fairly loud now and has a good amount of rasp and obviously will not pass smog at the moment lol. I still have until Dec. 2022 before it needs to be smogged again, thinking of potentially going to euro cats and back to a Dinan cold air intake although I’m unsure if that combo would still allow the car to pass.

Went ahead and replaced the alternator with a Bosch unit from FCP.

My toolkit was mostly complete aside from 2 or 3 tools, went ahead and found some nice ones on eBay to finish the set.

Noticed some higher coolant temps on my way home from work one day and found that this expansion tank line had cracked and was leaking. Had poked at it and it completely broke off. Luckily I already had a spare so replaced it along with the potentially original water pump.

Replaced the mechanical fan assembly, bolts and all.

Noticed a humming noise coming from the front left side of the car at speed. Old wheel bearings were very crusty looking. New FAG unit installed on both sides.

Replaced the studs on all four corners with a new kit from Apex.

Deep cleaned the wheel wells and repainted the brake calipers front and rear.

Was bored one day and decided to clean behind the plate.

Light hand polish.

Ceramic coated the plate and bracket, repainted all the hardware as well.

My girlfriend wanted to move back out to the SF bay area to be closer to family, naturally, I decided to relocate with her.

I still have the slick top headliner that I picked up last year, figured I should finally put it to good use. Went ahead and ordered an AJ Hartman CF sunroof delete. The plan is to have it repainted TiAg along with having the roof rails resprayed as the clear coat is flaking heavily on those. I'll also be ordering some BM134 fabric for the headliner and having it rewrapped by a local shop here in Pleasanton.

Still dailying the M3 but my commute is now only about 20 minutes roundtrip as opposed to around 2 hours. She currently sits at about 216k and some change. I have all the parts necessary for the rear subframe reinforcement on hand (vincebar, reinforcement plates, all bushings, ball joints, etc.), hoping to have that done this year as well as some other work.
        Last edited by bran.stum; 02-01-2022, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Great update. Went through the whole thread yesterday and was worried about the silence!
          2018 X1
          2014 335is
          1988 M3
          WTB: E36 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by Desert M3 View Post
            Great update. Went through the whole thread yesterday and was worried about the silence!
            Thanks! I’m still alive lol, I just make slow progress

Comment

Tri color stripes on the M3 badge were starting to fade, went ahead and replaced with the sticker from Never Done. Excuse the filthy paint, couldn't wash my car for a week or two. Crushed my thumb at work and required stitches, couldn't get it wet for a bit or lift anything.

Received my Aj Hartman sunroof delete panel. Beautiful piece and I'm excited to get it painted and installed.

I work at my local BMW dealership and was kind of surprised to see this come through our wholesale department.

Also got around to having my windshield replaced. I of course cleaned underneath the cowl after the Safelite tech had finished.

So satisfying to get rid of the old original windshield. Every square inch of the old glass was pitted along with 3 dime-sized chips. Ceramic coated the windshield cowl to restore the color since it had faded heavily.

Requested an OEM Pilkington and seal of course. Was hoping I'd luck out somehow and get the 703 infrared windshield, but got the green stripe/rain sensor 702 windshield.

Trying to find a body shop around here that can do a quality job on the sunroof delete. I was originally going to have just the delete panel and roof rails painted, but now I decided to have the whole roof done as well. I want the paint to all match, plus I do have a spot on the roof where the clearcoat has failed and would like to deal with it before it worsens.

My power steering pump sounds and feels like it is on its last legs, so after finishing the sunroof delete I'll be refreshing the power steering system.
              Last edited by bran.stum; 04-03-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Sent my steering wheel trim out to Texas to be refinished, came out very nice as expected.

All new OE hoses, ZF resevoir, hose clamps, and a reman Bosch pump. Employee discount at the dealership came in clutch for all the hoses. $100+ cheaper than even OEM off FCP. Only thing not pictured is the BMW ATF.

Delete panel and roof mouldings are back from paint. Did originally want to have the roof painted at the same time, but could not justify the cost of repaint for a small spot on the roof. The paintshop I went to was recommended by a friend, very happy with the results.

New clips for both sides.

Cleaned out the little channel the mouldings sit in.

Nice fresh paint.

Tackling the power steering system this weekend, hopefully doing the sunroof delete here soon as well. Trying to acquire some headliner fabric from VeteranCo, but each time I've called I've been told they're waiting on a shipment. Maybe I'll have better luck trying to source some 9002 alcantara instead.

Comment

Man what a shame you couldnt keep the mtex interior that was in it. That is one of the cleanest sets I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                    Man what a shame you couldnt keep the mtex interior that was in it. That is one of the cleanest sets I've seen.
                    You're telling me haha. Had the opportunity but lacked the funds. Planning on full M-Texture eventually with Pole Positions reupholstered to match.

Comment

Tackled the power steering refresh. Didn't realize the pulley on the power steering pump was made of plastic and ended up chipping it as I removed it from the old pump. Had to order a new one from my work and had everything finished up the next day. Car also received new serpentine belt, AC belt, and AC tensioner.

Despite the cap saying CHF only, I did indeed fill it with BMW atf.

My trunk handle broke at one of the mounting points. Lucked out and found a good condition on eBay same day. Ordered a new foam gasket, license plate lights, and trunk release button.

Sold my F10 knob to a friend and ordered a new one.

Ordered a new hazard switch and gave my old one to my cousin, as his had broken in his e46 vert. Never realized how faded mine was.

20 years of exposure to the sun has really taken a toll on my trunk lip. May look into having it repainted.

Made a run to an O'Reillys to grab a couple things for my girlfriends car, ran into a photographer that offered to take a couple pics for me.
                      @tenshi_photos on instagram

Still haven't installed my sunroof delete. Too hot to do anything outside at the moment and don't have a 2nd pair of hands to help manuever the sunroof casette out without damaging anything.

Comment

Love these updates. Car is looking great as usual.
                        2018 X1
                        2014 335is
                        1988 M3
                        WTB: E36 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by bran.stum View Post

You're telling me haha. Had the opportunity but lacked the funds. Planning on full M-Texture eventually with Pole Positions reupholstered to match.
                          That's the route I went, no regrets. My car is a factory mtex though so I only had to do the pole positions. Few photos of mine if you ever need some inspiration :P

Last edited by Thoglan; 06-30-2022, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

That's the route I went, no regrets. My car is a factory mtex though so I only had to do the pole positions. Few photos of mine if you ever need some inspiration :P

Way ahead of you! Saw a couple posts of yours with these pics and immediately saved them. Truly drool worthy 🥴

I came across Pole Position Classics and am looking into those. They have more rounded off inserts that I think would match the stock interior a little better. Might have to sell a kidney.
                            Last edited by bran.stum; 06-30-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bran.stum View Post

Way ahead of you! Saw a couple posts of yours with these pics and immediately saved them. Truly drool worthy 🥴

I came across Pole Position Classics and am looking into those. They have more rounded off inserts that I think would match the stock interior a little better. Might have to sell a kidney.
                              Yes I saw there was a german guy do mtexture pole position classics recently in his clubsport style M3.

There's also a full mtexture interior for sale atm on NAM3forum, if I were you I would snag it. Might be a long time before another comes up for sale in that condition, first one I've seen come up in a couple years.
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ion#post174197

Comment

Working...
                              X