bimmertav's Alpine M3 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bimmertav's Alpine M3 Project

Hey guys! Here is a little journal about my 1995 Alpine White M3.

I always wanted an e36 M3. I also always wanted some sort of a "project car". I'm super fortunate and get to play music for a living and travel quite extensively. Through my travels I was able to pick up parts and see a lot of cool cars. One day between tours, I saw a posting for a 95' E36 M3 in Seattle. I was hard set on either an estoril blue car or a pre-facelift alpine white car. I picked up this relatively high mileage piece of junk for 5k. It had all the usual high mileage, used and abused features that riddle e36 m3's. Door cards were done, headliner tickled your neck, early model e36 drenched ecu, and clear coat failing.. I think I only purchased the car cause I had driven 2 hours and purchased temporary insurance. Mistake number one: Buy the car. See photos:
    M3 stuff by tav man, on Flickr

It was the best horrible purchase I have ever made.

I started tackling little projects like the trunk wiring, brake switch, headlight switch. Got the factory alarm and keyless working. The car feels limber and athletic even though its high mileage. I find car's that sit and don't get driven tend to feel "out of shape". I rarely drive my e30 and when I do, it feels like it needs to work out for a week and get back in shape.

I couldn't stand the headliner and purple tray/pillars.

Gross. The old adhesive is what nightmares are made of.

Clean.

It's not OE, but some alcantara style microsuede costly fabric looked sharp and was easy to work with.

Dye time:
    Old vs new. Yuck.

The SEM dye feels great to the touch. And the color is a super close match to the headliner.

Then it was time to tackle some split seams.
    I make stuff out of leather so this was fun.

Its a pinch seam.. not much to show.

My drivers seat bolster was destroyed. As a temporary fix: I used a cut off of leather and as a backing fabric and used tanners bond contact cement to reinforce the seam. Then I punched holes, stitched and gave it a blast of SEM dye to blend it all. Works but a temp fix for sure.

Then a purchased some almost new late model door cards from a friend for a great deal. I know, its an airbag door panel on a non-airbag car. It's also a mass produced sports car with huge production numbers. I would eventually like to put non airbag door panels in to keep it correct. But those door panels appear to be available from bmw still.. so there is time to enjoy it like this first! Ps.. I tightened up the saggy e-brake boot collar since this photo was taken.

Between jobs on the car I made my friend who had the door panels a leather m-inspired key caddy:

It's a beautiful hyde that closely matches the Nappa leather interior. I am going to use it to remake the bolsters at a later date.

Then I made another friend a little card wallet and lined it with brembo fabric that his recent brake parts shipped in.

Back to the car:
    Head gasket failed. No mixing of fluids but there was coolant disappearing. It was weeping out one of the thin sections near the rear of the engine. I left for another tour and left the car with CG Motorsports. They did a top end rebuild and installed a Mishimoto cooling system.
    I didn't grab any after photos.. But we all know what an S50 looks like. CG Motorsports also detailed the engine bay while they had it. I'll snap photos eventually. Fantastic performance shop if you are on the west coast. It's crazy how gross this engine bay was. Its even crazier that I actually purchased this car.. again - musician.

I got back from the tour and car felt and drove amazing. It had new life. I couldn't stand looking at the failing paint job and started dismantling the car for a respray.
    Look at this HACK job that BMW Tacoma did sometime in 1995 while probably installing their first e36 rear spoiler. (this car has a 06/1994 build date).
    It's odd cause it has the inner mounting holes drilled in the spots that the GT/LTW/Clubsport wings require you to drill out on the underside of the trunk lid... I'm on the hunt for one of those spoilers. One day I will get one.

Needless to say, the paint shop spent some time fixing that. I was horrified when I saw rust.

Replaced the windshield and the rear window to get a tape-less paint job.

Brought it home to start re-assembling.

Hachi is always a good help. She sniffs out each new part to see if its correct before putting it on.

While I was on tour I had accumulated a large amount of parts for the car.

Including the emblems from their homeland.

Those European Glass lights made a huge difference. The quality in the bosch light is fantastic!

Soldered up some little adapter-boi's to make the lights turn on. Spent way too much money on the OEM wires individually.. but I'm a musician - no one said I was responsible.

I also think I spent more time than you are supposed to on the sunroof... I think I sat in this position for about 4 hours. My sunroof didn't work before taking it apart. And I was determined to get it to work. It works flawlessly now. We'll see how long that lasts.

While I was in Australia I was trying to connect with local BMW guys and search for cool parts. That's when I learned about the M3R and I fell in love with RC041's and RC042's. I had to have them.
    Hachi likes them too.

Ended up going with a 15mm spacer in the rear and 12mm in the front.

All buttoned up I love it.
    M3 by tav man, on Flickr

I have left out huge portions of this. But I also don't take photos of everything and I'm sure most if not all of you know more about ANY of this stuff than me. But it's been a really fun journey and I love the community.

Next week I'll be installing some KW's V1's. They sound like the ideal coilover for a simple guy like me who just likes to take the odd spirited drive!

Last edited by bimmertav; 06-13-2020, 10:43 PM.

Car looks super fresh!

It’s funny mine came on RC’s, in the UK they were a 328 Sport model option, so I didn’t like them and took them off. All depends what car they make you think of, they’re definitely lighter than the standard wheels I put on.

Comment

Thanks man! I ordered them from the UK! Such a great standard offering and a really light wheel indeed! Your car is sick man! It’s taken a great journey!

Comment

Great transformation!
        Instagram

Comment

Great work so far. How much was the full respray?

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
            Great work so far. How much was the full respray?
            Thanks!
            I payed $4500 CAD / ~3300 USD
            This did not include finish sanding/polishing or the cost of new glass.
            Opted to replace the front bumper at the same time too.

Quotes were all over the map from 2,000 to 18,000. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by SpaghettiM3 View Post
              Great transformation!
              Thanks man!!

Comment

This has come along real nice, thank you for saving another on the cusp of despair.

Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3/2/5 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3/2/5

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0032 View Post
                  This has come along real nice, thank you for saving another on the cusp of despair.
                  thanks man! Your estoril on those concaves and hi rise wing = 😍 - I love it.

Comment

Haven't posted in a while. The car has received some exterior modifications, new door sill trimmings, brakes and new tires on the old wheels. It still doesn't get driven as much as I'd like. My wonderful girlfriend surprised me with an OE lip splitter for my birthday. She truly rocks and I'm feeling like the exterior of the car is now where I want it. The to-do list is quite short now: Bushings throughout, fix drivers seat bolster properly (I have a piece of black nappa sitting idle). I also got some year appropriate pre-airbag door panels waiting to go in.

IMG_0914 by tav man, on Flickr

The tires I landed on are 235/40/17 toyo R1R's. They feel fantastic. Not a lot of options in the 95 tire sizing. I love how chubby these tires are. They have love handles.

IMG_0882 by tav man, on Flickr

I just installed the lip splitter last night - still have some bumper adjustments to do but it was way too hot out and beer.

IMG_3114 by tav man, on Flickr

Now I'm thinking about gurney flaps.

Comment

I did a bit of work this winter. Wanted to get the car feeling tight again. Ordered the FCP comprehensive bushing kit, plus new hardware, giubo, fluids, trans and motor mounts.
                      Getting the rear end down was a quick job. Would have been easier with a vertical jack.
                      Untitled by tav man, on Flickr
                      Pulled a couple bushings, realized it was going to take forever with steel cups, random sockets and threaded rod. Packed up the Wrecked3 (x3) and some style 24's I recently purchased. Wheels went to refinishing. Other parts went to my buddies press.
                      Gave some of the parts a fresh hit of Epoxy 2k primer, and then a topcoat of hot rod satin black 2k. Should give them some protection for another 25 years.
                      So fresh!

I was horrified when I discovered this corrosion. It was in the same spot of both rear wheel wells.
                      So I began the process of removing the failed undercoat. Luckily it hadn't rusted!
                      Once I removed enough material to where there was a healthy relationship between the undercoat and metal. I shot a 2k epoxy primer to seal the metal. Then followed with a Fusor rubberized coating. Randy Forbes mentioned the product on another forum. I watched some youtube video's on how to match textures and tried - went ok. Then I shot it with a can of alpine white 3 that was tinted for "27 years of road/tar". It's a touch lighter than the rest of the yellowed wheel well. But nothing a little driving and age won't hide later on. I wish I had taken more photos during the process. But It was kind of stressful painting and grinding ha ha. Dont worry - I removed the plastic lining.
                      The passenger side was a lot less fun getting the filler neck out of the way.

I scrubbed the bottom of the car for hours over a couple days.
                      better:
                      by tav man, on Flickr
                      better again:

Replaced a bunch of shifter parts and cleaned everything up as well:

But wow... Some of this stuff was DIRTY.

Comment

Then my wheels came back from refinishing. These wheels started on life being polished. They had been refinished silver very soon before I got them. But that car had an engine fire.. so back out for refinishing.
                        They turned out amazing.

At this point of the winter it was too cold to wrench. So I tried something I always wanted to try. I rewrapped a wheel from scratch. Made my own templates and used some left over materials.
                        I hand stitched it all. I'm not going to use this wheel. I just did it as an experiment. I have since ordered some lambourghini approved black nappa leather for my own wheel and boots.
                        The seams lined up perfect. It was important to me that there are only 2 seams. Many replica re-wraps have 4 and it looks silly.
                        happy with fitment:
                        Then I measured back from the middle seam and stitch the light blue, and red stitches.
                        by tav man, on Flickr
                        Then I barge contact cemented the new upholstery to the wheel and started top stitching. OEM skips a stitch. I did every stitch.. because I don't have much experience working with this material compared to leather. So I wasn't sure how the edges would lay. I could have skipped a stitch and stayed true to OEM. But hindsight is 20/20.
                        Turned out awesome. I trimmed the corners and finished tucking the fabric after this photo. I then excited gave the wheel to my friend before taking better photos...

Then I scored a supersprint exhaust for cheap. Needed a bit of attention:
                        Now its super shiny.

Got the car back together. It all went in quite nicely. I was able to torque every suspension are to its final torque in ride height position. So there is no stress on any of the bushings.
                        It looks and handles SO well.
                        I put on one of Brett's wicker bills too. Love it!! And Westopher has really helped me put together a car that I love. Now to put some more miles on it!

Comment

Looking great!
                          2018 X1
                          2014 335is
                          1988 M3
                          WTB: E36 M3/4/5

Comment

• bimmertav
                            bimmertav commented
                            Editing a comment
                            thanks man!

Lovely stuff, looks spot on!

Comment

• bimmertav
                            bimmertav commented
                            Editing a comment
                            appreciate it dude!

Been doing a bunch more upholsterty stuff. In a world where Nappa is the new standard - finding this texture of leather was really hard and expensive ha ha. Posting this one cause I may keep it and not sell it..

Comment

Working...
                          X