Evtron's 1997 M3 Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Westopher View Post
    Glad to see your car again! People should link this to new buyers. This is what it takes to have a truly nice e36.
    High praise, thanks man!
    1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      Who did you order the H1 from? I only see one site that offers them now (around $450 shipped now)
      Thanks! Agreed, leaving the Lamin-x seems like the reasonable thing to do. I hardly notice the texture now that they're installed on the car.

I ordered these headlights from Schmiedmann in May. I had originally ordered a right-side ZKW from Schmiedmann in November 2019 (got the left ZKW from ECS during a limited quantity sale; if anyone wants it let me know), but the fulfillment date was pushed back to December 2020, so I switched to the Bosch pair.
      1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Evtron View Post

Thanks! Agreed, leaving the Lamin-x seems like the reasonable thing to do. I hardly notice the texture now that they're installed on the car.

I ordered these headlights from Schmiedmann in May. I had originally ordered a right-side ZKW from Schmiedmann in November 2019 (got the left ZKW from ECS during a limited quantity sale; if anyone wants it let me know), but the fulfillment date was pushed back to December 2020, so I switched to the Bosch pair.
        I swear Schmiedmann took them off the site last year. The H7 are available but the H1 were removed due to quality issues (in other words they kept shipping them poorly and they were breaking).

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Strange, I definitely recall seeing them on their site in November 2019 and in May 2020. Looks like I lucked out.

Recommendations on H1 bulbs? I'm running Osram Nightbreakers now, wondering if there's anything else worth looking at.
          1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Evtron View Post
            Strange, I definitely recall seeing them on their site in November 2019 and in May 2020. Looks like I lucked out.

Recommendations on H1 bulbs? I'm running Osram Nightbreakers now, wondering if there's anything else worth looking at.
            I run those as well. You can't really do any better with tungsten based bulbs. My only suggestion is to go Bi-LED 2.0 if you feel up for it... it is amazing.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Some great work here, car looks super clean!

Comment

Just the other day I was thinking, "Where's Evan been?"

Lookin good, dude.

Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3/2/5 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3/2/5

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by MattDearPhoto View Post
                  Some great work here, car looks super clean!
                  Thank you sir!
                  1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0032 View Post
                    Just the other day I was thinking, "Where's Evan been?"

Lookin good, dude.
                    Thanks bud. After roaching the brakes at COTA I haven't really been able to drive it much, just slow cruises on residential streets. Been focused on house stuff lately. Once I get the garage finalized and swap the steering rack on my GF8 rallycross car I'll start dropping subframes on the E36.
                    Last edited by Evtron; 12-14-2020, 04:08 PM.
                    1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Parts are starting to come in

1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Just read through this build again as it is one of my favourites….any further progress?
                        2018 X1
                        2014 335is
                        1988 M3
                        WTB: E36 M3/4/5

Comment

Thanks! No further progress, though I have been taking it out regularly. I need to wrap up a few projects around the house before I can start tearing the car down, as the car blocks access to the attic. I should be able to get started before the end of the year. In the meantime I've amassed quite the pile of new parts on my workbench.

I had bought a set of Quickjacks and they turned out to be absolute garbage, far more wobbly and unstable than I'm comfortable with. Customer service was even worse, months of back and forth got me absolutely nowhere. In the end I got my money back from the retailer, but it delayed the start of the suspension overhaul. If it weren't for that setback I would have started this project months ago.
                          1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Which Quickjacks were they? I’ve been looking at the 5000lb or whatever and am about to take the plunge, but if they’re garbage I’ll keep looking. Sorry to take this OT…
                            2018 X1
                            2014 335is
                            1988 M3
                            WTB: E36 M3/4/5

Comment

I got the 5000SLX from Costco, which I believe I was an outdated model. If I were to do it again I'd spend the extra money and buy straight from Bendpak to ensure I was getting the most current model. I know lots of people swear by them, YMMV.
                              1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

I’ve been planning this project since I was in college, six years before I even got the car. After years of waiting, the time has now come.

But first, a quick wash.

It begins.

Zero cleaning has taken place at this point. Next step is to teardown the calipers, rear trailing arms, and axles, and get everything ready for powder coat. Front subframe is heading to a local race shop for reinforcement early next week. After I drop everything off at the powder coater, I’ll drop the fuel tank and go from there.
                                1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X