• Time
  • Show
Clear All

welp.. things changed quick
    sold the black oz racing wheels
    got a set of oz racing wheels again, this time in a proper 996 fitment
    18x8.5 +40
    18x11 +63

fedex decided to only deliver 3 of the 4 wheels and ive literally been waiting for one wheel to put the car back on the ground

i took that time to order new motor mounts, roll my fenders and hunt for tires.

purchased Wevo poly motor mounts. They are huge in the aircooled world add little to no NHV, while significantly increasing engine stability. They are also not stiff enough to cause knock sensor issues.

While doing the motor mounts, i tried to adjust one of the exhaust tips only to find out the clamp holding the tip was seized and rusted out. Order two new clamps, though i only changed one side since the other was fine.

FYI.. motor mounts for a 996/7 are literally a 15 minute job. i genuinely spent more time putting on music and gathering tools than i did actually replacing the mounts.

and here's that exhaust clamp that i had to cut off.

see that rubber sticking out of the original motor mounts? that's how far down my engine was sagging from oem. those mounts were pretty damn worn out. i guess it's expecting for the mileage of the vehicle. btw.. easy way to tell if rear engine porsche is in need of new motor mounts.. look at how far the exhaust tips are from the bumper. the further away.. the more sag it had. a lot of owners will get custom exhausts made and have the tips looking perfect... then change their motor mounts only to have their exhaust tips getting shoved into the bumper.

i had to modify my fender roller and enlarge the holes to accept the 5x130 pattern. this was very time consuming and rolling the rear fenders is very tricky because of how inners are designed.

luckily i didnt have to do much other than a simple roll. i may go back and roll them a bit more in the future if i notice any rubbing.

finding tires was a huge issue.. or at least finding tires that i liked and were within my $1000 budget.

245/40r18 and 315/30r18 is what i was aiming for. it's the closest to 996 cup sizing without jumping into slicks

ideally i wanted Falken RT615k+ or their new RT660.

the 315/30 660's havent even been received/made by falken themselves so that went out of the list right away. they said they could be anywhere from one month to six months out from getting their hands on them and shipping them out.

i could not find a pair of 315/30r18 in stock anywhere for the 615's.

only other 200tw option i really had were the yokohama a052's
    new tire.. heard great things.. $1400.. out of budget unfortunately

looking around.. i ended up with Nankang AR1's since a lot of locals seemed to praise it. I did not want to run r888rs simply because of how loud they are and other options were out of budget.

i plan to run these until the falken rt660's arrive. ill likely purchase a second set of wheels in similar specs and use those for the street, and keep the red OZ's for track things

Today i finally found an alignment shop that i trust who had an open slot that wasnt 2 weeks out.

took the car out for a spin... wow. those engine mounts really make a huge difference in how things feel. I had forgotten how touchy things felt in the m3 when i had poly mounts. the car feels alive. engine actually makes a nice grunt now when accelerating.. alongside other worry-some noises haha

after doing the motor mounts i can really feel how worn out the clutch is. it's on it's last legs. not a good thing since im not financially ready to do IMS bearing job right now..

oh well.. we'll see how long i can survive with minimal driving lol

Comment

small life update:

i participated in one of those instagram car raffles

won a 1997 integra type r

the car is well... its not a good example of what an ITR should be

it has a JDM ITR motor which makes it very hard to register in california.

it's also an out of state title and vehicle with a salvage title due to 2 accounts of theft(lol) and one account of vandalism.

car's been resprayed before and all the interior CF pieces that an ITR should have are gone(likely stolen)

i cant help to admit it's a blast to drive despite the worn out suspension bushings everywhere and trashy lowering springs.

it made me miss my s2000.

im currently working on getting the car registered in california(you cali folk know exactly how tedious this process is)

i will likely sell the car once i fix a few odds and ends and put the money toward some debt and into the 996.

ive already removed the straight pipe exhaust and fitted an OEM type-r midpipe along with a Comptech axleback.

on the hunt for an OEM CARB legal cat at the moment.

I've also fixed the fuel gauge(car has a JDM cluster) and nearly fully wired up the headlights(jdm front end). only thing i have not wired up are the fog lights

more to come soon(i hope)

Comment

hi all.

it's been a while. ive been MIA for the most part dealing with a lot of work related things.

there's a lot of updates.

1) ITR sold.
        2) used ITR money to get the 996 borescoped and qualified for an IMS Solution
        3) Found minor bore scoring on the bottom of cyl #5. Found timing chain rails completely disintegrated. Car required the engine to be pulled, split apart, and timing redone. Even after doing all that, the bore scoring issue will only get worse with time. It was an extremely tough decision that took a lot of mental and emotional strength to do, but i sold the 996, because spending $10k-$15k on a timing job and IMS Solution on a motor that is bound to fail eventually didnt add up. Sleeving the block requires a full rebuild, about $25k+labor($10k). Flat 6 Innovations has about a 1 year waitlist on engine rebuilds.

So..... it was either sit on the car for a year or watch the motor kill itself. The 996 is a genuine dream car of mine and I will own another one day.. but at my current point in life it didnt add up to drop $35k on a 996.

While searching for a new platform i drove a 981 Cayman GTS on track and was thoroughly impressed. It felt extremely balanced and a bone stock car performing like that blew my mind,

I was on the hunt for one, as a 981 Cayman S can be purchased for around $35-45k. Long story short, financing a car didnt end up working out, as i put family first and decided to help my parents purchase a (dream) vacation home for their retirement. It was a tough call, but it was something i would rather do. Theyve done so much and I couldn't even begin to thank them enough. They deserve it.

Enough sob story bs i know yall are here for cars.

I just picked up a swapped, BAR'd e30 325i

It's not perfect and i feel i may have overpaid, but it's almost a perfect combo of shitbox and quality... not to mention that BAR sticker is worth some $$$

quick info:
        clean title
        163k miles on the chassis
        unknown miles on the motor. im just gonna tell myself 120k miles on the motor to make myself feel good.
        legal "s52" swap(BAR'd as an s50 somehow. i dont ask questions.)
        MCS 2-way coilovers
        BBS RS(ooo fancy)
        Corbeau seats(theyre pretty comfy)
        AC and heater do work.
        Shitimoto Radiator
        straight pipe hotboi exhaust
        parts of the car needs to be resprayed due to chipping paint

enough talk. here's the car

The swap itself was done by Castro Motorsports here in SoCal. I called to confirm, and he assured me he did the swap, but he does not remember if he had the vehicle BAR'd or if one of the previous owners did all the work for the BAR legalization.

Either way i will be visiting him because he offers a BAR legal exhaust for this swap that doesn't sound like complete doodoo.

As far as a current future plans list goes:

Stewart Racing Water Pump
        CSF or Koyo Radiator
        Secured Oil Pump Nut
        New wheels(as much as i love BBS RS... i cant track on a set of wheels that could buy me half the things on my to-do list lmao)
        rear toe/camber adjustments
        update spring rates to my liking.
        Front control arms and bushings
        New steering rack boots(right side is ripped)
        new tie rod ends(they are worn out)
        CAE Shifter w/ stiffer motor/trans mounts
        chassis reinforcements on pretty much any known weak point of the e30

More to come! im glad to be back into a bmw. remember kids(and adults).. a cheap porsche is the most expensive porsche youll ever own.. learn from my own mistakes.. i should have kept that cursed e36 and saved me a bunch of headaches, time and money. ill buy another 996 one day..

Comment

E30 looks good man.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
            E30 looks good man.
            Thanks man! It's definitely been a blast so far.

So i didn't realize how low the s52 sits in the e30 until i took a quick peak under and scraped the thick skid plate on a small imperfection on the road.

Doing more research, i found the front tire size to be a much smaller diameter than it should be.
            It's a 205/45 when it should be a 205/50. Now usually that's not a big deal for the stance guys... but i plan to track the car and until i find another set of wheels, im sticking with these.

I raised the front end of the car about 25mm overall to gain some ground clearance, plus with the proper tires it should raise up another 10mm.

Oddly enough, the MCS coilovers are almost maxed out up front.

I referenced the Hyperco Spring part # and found it to be a 6" spring instead of MCS's recommended 7" spring.

Time to toss Springs on the list of things to order lol.

I forgot to mention... i had to remove those BBS wheel caps and i didn't find the tool anywhere in the car. I found a .stl file online of someone who had created one. I took it, modified the design a bit to fit into my 3D printer and printed one up real quick.

i also replaced both tie rod ends and the passenger side steering rack boot today with Mevotech units. I added a Resistor to the airbag plug and hope it will solve the SRS light issue when i get it reset.

Lastly... i noticed a small oil leak near the back of the motor/front of the trans. im betting a lot of money it's a rear main seal haha. When i take the car into Castro Motorsports for the exhaust in 2 weeks, im going to have them look at it while it's on a lift and might even have them replace the rear main seal if it's the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X