Ed's 1995 Cosmos M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed's 1995 Cosmos M3

What's up guys! I've been on the forums for a while now meticulously reading all the journals on m3forum before it died away. Since this new forum is up, I figured now is the time to finally start my own.

My first M car was an E46 M3 which I was graciously handed down after my dad picked up an E92 M3, which unfortunately got totaled 😔. I enjoyed that car a lot and still own it today (more on that later). Now, before I went to college my dad found a great deal on a Cosmos/black 95 M3 that needed a good amount of work. The PO was selling it because it had a misfire that he couldn't track down and he didn't have the time/space to deal with it anymore. So, after a quick transaction we were on our way home in a tow truck with the M3 sitting in the back.
    For about half a year, the car sat like this because we also didn't have the time to work on it. I was in Santa Barbara away from home and my dad waited until we could work on it together. Once we finally had the time to work on the car, we decided to pull the head off because a blown head gasket was something we guessed may have been the culprit. Sure enough, what we discovered was a hole in the gasket that was burned through cyl 5 and cyl 6. After we got everything buttoned up the car ran great with no more misfire. After that, we needed to move to the cosmetic aspect of this car. We bought it with the hood and drivers fender burned through its clear coat (which I feel is quite common for cosmos black for some reason?). I was able to source a great condition fender and hood in the same color so we were able to swap those out and make the car look that much better.
    Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures before that so I only have photos starting this period of the car. (the maiden voyage after the HG replacement).

After this I drove it back up to school and began daily driving the car. Note: this is also the car I learned how to drive manual on. Here's the car at a local cars and coffee parked next to an E39 M5.

The E36 was such a different chassis to me coming from an E46. The manual compared to SMG and just the raw connection to the car was very different.

Coming from the E46 which is on coilovers, I knew that the body roll on the E36 had to go.

So next for the E36 was some coilovers. After installing them I obviously enjoyed the car much more than before. The stiffness and aesthetics of the car were just so good. I sometimes miss how the car looks lowered on Contours and I kinda wish I never sold them.

I enjoyed the car like this for a while. It was really simple and as a student I also don't have much $ to spend on all the maintenance/mods I wish I could do. As the time passed I made slight changes to the interior. I got a ZHP knob, shift/brake boots from 2m, armrest delete, deleted some of the lux package trim, and a Renown wheel (I thought the 4-spoke was absolutely hideous).

Comment

As much as I loved the Contours, I loved the played out look of arc-8s even more so when I found a set local to me I went and picked them up and soon as I could. The specs of the wheels are 17x9.5 squared on a 245/40.

The extra grip in the front was immediately noticeable and just like every other new mod, this made me fall in love with the car even more. After this, the car has pretty much remained the same and is still performing its DD duties. Since then, I have just done basic maintenance i.e. frequent oil changes, diff fluid, trans fluid, various gaskets, cabin filter, airbox filter, etc., etc. We bought the car at around 232k and now she sits at 263k and I hope to go so much more.

Now this brings the journal to present times. I plan on doing more maintenance to the car (needs new bushings all around, better coilovers, fixing oil leaks) and since I'm about to graduate college I'm hoping to be able to 1) have more time to work on the car 2) find a job that is able to pay for this hobby 😂.

Comment

I love the apex arc8s in your car! I've been looking for a set for my car.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcanadian View Post
          I love the apex arc8s in your car! I've been looking for a set for my car.
          yeah I think it really makes the look of the car even if they're on every other e36 haha

Comment

Some updates from recent times:
            last summer I found somebody on CL giving away a free passenger seat in seat condition and so it was the perfect time to do a diy cushion swap. After reading a lot of DIY's and buying the clips from the dealer I tackled the job, and I must say it's a lot easier than I imagined.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	e7fef5ef1e810fc9322bba9850e8b422.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	2398

Name:	bf3f8e989626afff9ca28edbcb930559.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2397

Name:	69029332147c1c1c996a2c1901f44853.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	2392

Name:	81942ca321dcb1e748561c46719a6efc.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	2393

Name:	0429355296929b446931490458024b62.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2395

Name:	7a773d0fcafe51b57bc6428277895823.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2391
            Attached Files

Comment

does anyone know how to upload more photos? The site is saying that I'm exceeding the size limit.

Comment

I find it easier to use somewhere like imgur.

Comment

Small little updates here. First I noticed that one of the inner tail light bulbs was out on the drivers side so I went and bought two *cheap* HELLA bulbs from amazon and did a quick and super easy install. I will note that the new bulb seems a little brighter than the passenger side so I might just go and replace that one as well.
                  Untitled by Ed Endow, on Flickr
                  by Ed Endow, on Flickr
                  Next, I bought a replacement Three stripe M sticker from http://www.donewhenimdead.com/garage...pe-replacement to replace my old one.

Comment

Looks great! I also have a cosmos car with over 200k miles on it and just picked up a set of 17x9.5 square arc-8s as well. What coilovers did you end up going with? Did you have any issues fitting the 9.5s?

Comment

Originally posted by mdorsch View Post
                      Looks great! I also have a cosmos car with over 200k miles on it and just picked up a set of 17x9.5 square arc-8s as well. What coilovers did you end up going with? Did you have any issues fitting the 9.5s?
                      Thanks man! We'll be twins haha. I'm currently running Megan coilovers (which I plan on swapping out soon), and I have shaved rears, rolled fronts and 7mm spacers up front to clear the coilovers. The size of the spacer will depend on the ride height of your car because of where the adjustment collar sits.

Comment

• mdorsch
                        mdorsch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do you think its necessary to shave the rears? I planned on just rolling to flat and removing the seam sealer.

Slowly but surely getting rid of the wooden lux pieces. My friend sold me a brand new black e-brake handle for $10 so I thought why not. BUT, I can't get the handle on the rest of the half inch it needs haha. If anyone has any tips on pushing it the last bit please let me know!

Comment

Working...
                      X