No announcement yet.

Matt's Euro Techno Violet E36 M3 Evo Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really pleased to see this car being brought back to life. Love the color.
    Last edited by JitteryJoe; 06-23-2020, 04:22 PM.
    Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

That's a big job you took on with the interior. Nice work.

My only suggestion is to use leather products that strip all that grease (shine) off and restore them back to their original matte finish. Conditioners don't really do what they claim and usually make things worse. I stick to cleaners only.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
        That's a big job you took on with the interior. Nice work.

My only suggestion is to use leather products that strip all that grease (shine) off and restore them back to their original matte finish. Conditioners don't really do what they claim and usually make things worse. I stick to cleaners only.
        Thanks, definitely turned out to be more work than I originally intended.

I’ve tried my best to clean the leather and make it more matte, using dedicated leather cleaner, APC and even just straight up fairy liquid dish soap, nothing made them any less shiny it’s almost like they’ve been treated in the past with something that has given them a permanent shiny look.

It’s definitely more obvious in pictures but I’d love to have that super soft matte looking leather, just haven’t found a way yet, try as I might.

Comment

Originally posted by MattDearPhoto View Post

Thanks, definitely turned out to be more work than I originally intended.

I’ve tried my best to clean the leather and make it more matte, using dedicated leather cleaner, APC and even just straight up fairy liquid dish soap, nothing made them any less shiny it’s almost like they’ve been treated in the past with something that has given them a permanent shiny look.

It’s definitely more obvious in pictures but I’d love to have that super soft matte looking leather, just haven’t found a way yet, try as I might.
          Oh wow. Ok, well then you're probably right. Given that the panel inserts had painted leather, maybe the seats were repainted too? That would explain the uncorrectable gloss.

Comment

The seats have had a few spots repaired from what I can tell. They’re definitely originally black. The panels had a rubberised spray covering. I’m not sure if the seats have been sealed in some way.

They’re prefacelift which is wrong for the car but I mainly want to change them as people say facelift Vaders are more supportive, and frankly these SUCK.

I might end up changing them entirely to be honest.

Comment

Wow awesome documentation of your project! Definitely inspires me to keep working on my M3! I had done a black interior swap on my sedan and I chased down rattles for months.. LOL, I wished I had taken my time like you did! Keep up the great work!!

Comment

Latest update comes in video form! Managed to swing doing this in company time so I was behind camera rather than doing the work myself for this one.

Last edited by MattDearPhoto; 08-21-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattDearPhoto View Post
                  Latest update comes in video form! Managed to swing doing this in company time so I was behind camera rather than doing the work myself for this one.

Well you just got a bit cooler. Where are the Evolve deals exclusive this site? 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

Well you just got a bit cooler. Where are the Evolve deals exclusive this site? 😁
                    If anyone wants to message me I can try and help out where I can!

Comment

Some (diluted) Simple Green was suggested to give the leather a good clean.

Comment

I want to thank you for making me realize that I will have to have a RHD E36 M3 in my stable one day. That thing is gorgeous.

Excellent work thus far. Keep us posted.

Comment

I assume you do not have a passenger airbag. I have never seen that dash in an E36 with the parcel shelf on the passenger's side.

I know the brits like to present their power figures as Corrected to Cranl from wheel horsepower. What correction factor are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by frbz View Post
                            I assume you do not have a passenger airbag. I have never seen that dash in an E36 with the parcel shelf on the passenger's side.

I know the brits like to present their power figures as Corrected to Cranl from wheel horsepower. What correction factor are you using?
                            Correct no passenger airbag in this car.

No idea what correction factor, whatever the software is doing. We have a dynojet coming soon so will be using WHP going forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by frbz View Post

The no-passenger airbag dash is pretty common. Mandatory passenger airbags came way after the US.

Comment

My Japanese spec Euro manufactured in Jan 1994 has a passenger airbag

Comment

Working...
                                X