Running 100 octane Blend in NA S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 100 octane Blend in NA S54

Hey all, semi new to tracking my car and have heard some folks saying they do a blend of 100 octane and 91. Some running half and half to get about 95 octane achieved or some variation. They say temps are down and engine just feels happier.

Just seeing if this will have any issues on an N/A car, I'm running an ESS tune.

Any input would be appreciated, and if not damaging but actually beneficial, could I simply pump the race fuel directly into the car or would mixing prior be best. I was considering just having 3/4 tank on 91 and the pumping 100 on top of that, assumed it'd mix itself.

Cheers for any input.

Unless it is leaded, I don't see the issue.

Have you considered using a flex fuel controller so you can run a higher octane fuel (ethanol) for a lot less money? Quite a few of us run one, ProFlex and APE X85 are superb additions to the S54.

https://www.apeflexfuel.com/store/BM...Kit-p259859148

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      Unless it is leaded, I don't see the issue.

Have you considered using a flex fuel controller so you can run a higher octane fuel (ethanol) for a lot less money? Quite a few of us run one, ProFlex and APE X85 are superb additions to the S54.

https://www.apeflexfuel.com/store/BM...Kit-p259859148
      Yeah, I've actually heard great things about the APE kit, just haven't done enough research yet to insure it's safe. Can you still run just regular pump 91 with it if you want?

Comment

It should help to prevent knocking, but on an S54 I would imagine the ECU, no matter the tune, adjusts timing to compensate for that in any event. I don't see that it would have a downside.

I run a 50/50 mix of 100 and 93 octane in my E30 M3 on track days, as the technology is considerably older (no knock detection) and this affords a bit of protection from detonation.
        2018 X1
        2014 335is
        1988 M3
        WTB: E36 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMdoggy View Post

Yeah, I've actually heard great things about the APE kit, just haven't done enough research yet to insure it's safe. Can you still run just regular pump 91 with it if you want?
          You can run whatever you want, whenever you want. Though stock injectors max out around E60. You would want bigger injectors to use full E85.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Desert M3 View Post
            It should help to prevent knocking, but on an S54 I would imagine the ECU, no matter the tune, adjusts timing to compensate for that in any event.
            True. I don't know if the MSS54 is new enough/provides timing mappings for high octane fuels.

I know the MSS50 doesn't, so putting in anything any higher than RON98 is throwing away money as the DME can't its timing to make use of it.
            Worse yet, as I was told, the higher the octane number, the slower the burn, which means the E36 M3 will actually run less on RON102 than on RON98.

Comment

Working...
            X