Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strut mount reinforcement plates - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut mount reinforcement plates - what am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to figure this out.
    are the plates meant to be left/right from Turner?
    My left plate aligns perfect with the cutouts but the right side the camber adjustment pin is in the way and the plate won't sit flush.
    Picture for reference
    ​​

You can remove the pin. I need to go put eyes on the issue to see what better solution/explanation there is.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      You can remove the pin. I need to go put eyes on the issue to see what better solution/explanation there is.
      Yeah i was aware of the pins being removable, but haven't done any research about should i do it or not. I know it will open up some camber adjustment, but nothing near what real camber plates would. Are there any downsides to it?
      I contacted Turner too, only thing is i ordered them in April 2019 and just found them in my garage haha

Comment

Yes, remove the pin that is only used for alignment during factory assembly of the car.
        Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT, '04 IR ZHP Sedan

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
          Yes, remove the pin that is only used for alignment during factory assembly of the car.
          So i'll take it it's a must to remove them to mount the reinforcement plates?
          How about if i ever decide to upgrade to camber plates, will they interfere with the reinforcement plates?

Comment

Originally posted by iCanSeeYou View Post
            So i'll take it it's a must to remove them to mount the reinforcement plates?
            The reinforcement plates only came on Non-M E46s, those cars used the same strut mounts for both sides, which is why there is not a Left or Right side specific plate. But the M3s used L & R side specific plates and their alignment pins are mirror imaged. So you can't install the plates onto a M3 strut mount without removing the pin because they just weren't originally designed that way.

With that said, I have not seen a M3 with a stock M3 strut mount have a damaged strut tower unless it had some sort of impact damage. The only times I see this happen is when A. someone installs camber plates or B. Non-M's (because their mount is much smaller).

How about if i ever decide to upgrade to camber plates, will they interfere with the reinforcement plates?
            Depends on the camber plate, but you should be fine. If it is a street car look into the Turner camber plates that mimic the physical size of a stock strut mount.
            Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT, '04 IR ZHP Sedan

Comment

The reinforcement plates only came on Non-M E46s, those cars used the same strut mounts for both sides, which is why there is not a Left or Right side specific plate. But the M3s used L & R side specific plates and their alignment pins are mirror imaged. So you can't install the plates onto a M3 strut mount without removing the pin because they just weren't originally designed that way.

With that said, I have not seen a M3 with a stock M3 strut mount have a damaged strut tower unless it had some sort of impact damage. The only times I see this happen is when A. someone installs camber plates or B. Non-M's (because their mount is much smaller).

Depends on the camber plate, but you should be fine. If it is a street car look into the Turner camber plates that mimic the physical size of a stock strut mount.
              A lot of good info here, i was not aware that the M3 were not a part of the troublesome strut towers that mushroom.
              Is it even a necessary, from your experience, to install them?

Comment

A lot of good info here, i was not aware that the M3 were not a part of the troublesome strut towers that mushroom.
                Is it even a necessary, from your experience, to install them?
                The issue's that I have seen are from the small surface area of the strut mount or big impacts. I'll dig out a couple mounts for a visual tomorrow. The reinforcements are bigger than a M3 strut mount, so they can't hurt, just not 100% necessary from what I have seen. Now if you have aftermarket camber plates or are running Non-M mounts then I think they should be installed.

Comment

*I'm actually installing a set of reinforcements on a GC camber plate equipped M3 coilover car tomorrow.

Comment

The issue's that I have seen are from the small surface area of the strut mount or big impacts. I'll dig out a couple mounts for a visual tomorrow. The reinforcements are bigger than a M3 strut mount, so they can't hurt, just not 100% necessary from what I have seen. Now if you have aftermarket camber plates or are running Non-M mounts then I think they should be installed.

*I'm actually installing a set of reinforcements on a GC camber plate equipped M3 coilover car tomorrow.

Post some pics up! I don't consider my knowledge on the car fresh, but i still love to know more and more things about it, especially when i can bring all that knowledge downstairs to the garage and put it to good work!

Comment

All E46 have mushrooming issue with their front strut towers tbh, some less some more. On M3s usually with stock mounts and strut bar, the issues are far less frequent. Be aware that installing a reinforcement plate raises the stack about 1/4 inch, if that even matters to you.

Comment

Here you can see the surface area differences of the GC camber plates and the reinforcement plate. This is a Touring that is running M3 front suspension.

Comment

The problem with OE plates with camber plates is they usually restrict camber adjustment and require the rounded edges to be cut off.

Comment

Brett, I see how that could be a possibility but I have not run into that yet even on this setup...

Do you have any specifics on which have clearance issues so I can keep that in mind for the future?

Comment

Ground Control needs to better than that. Along with any other company that hides hardware under body parts. I guess their out is those are race plates and race cars are ok to cut up, hah.

My experience is mainly with E36 but you can see here where I notched the reinforcement plate to allow the GC plate to fully slide for camber. You could only get a max of -1.5 with the plate in original form.

Comment

Working...
                              X