Masking Suspension Parts for Powder Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking Suspension Parts for Powder Coat

I'm just about ready to drop off all of my suspension components at the powder coater, and I'm putting together a requirements doc for them. I'm stuck on how to mask the rear trailing arms and would like some guidance from the group.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't powder coat the outer diameter of the wheel bearing housing? I'd rather protect it from rust, but if I'm going to run into unforeseen interference issues then I'll keep it factory spec.

Anything else I should keep in mind about having these parts powder coated before dropping them off? I'd rather not learn the hard way.

Thanks all.
    1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Don’t worry about the brake mount face and the outer hub. Doesn’t cause any issues to powdercoat these areas.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

One more for you, what about the upper strut bolt location on the kingpin, should I mask the sides? Tolerance is pretty tight there on my TCKs, will powder cause interference? Top-most mounting point in the pic below for reference.

1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Mask the ball joint bores.
        Calipers bores/faces don't matter
        Strut mounting faces mask
        ABS sensor bore mask

Any powdercoater that does his job correctly will plug threaded holes like the abs sensor hole.

Specify the thinnest coat possible while still looking good. There's no sacrifice in performance to you, it just creates a more paint like thickness if your guy is good enough to not have to bulk on the powder.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

This should come out nice. Make sure you have a quality tap & die set on hand, as it is good to chase all the threads on the arms as they get pretty beat up from rust. This will also be more than ample for getting rid of any additional powder if it gets into the threads.

Also, you may want to consider new rear dust shields, my old ones were beat up and didn't want to go back on without gouging the paint. I bit the bullet and bought new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
            Mask the ball joint bores.
            Calipers bores/faces don't matter
            Strut mounting faces mask
            ABS sensor bore mask

Any powdercoater that does his job correctly will plug threaded holes like the abs sensor hole.

Specific the thinnest coat possible while still looking good. There's no sacrifice in performance to you, it just creates a more paint like thickness if your guy is good enough to not have to bulk on the powder.
            This is exactly the information I'm looking for. Thank you!
            ​​
            Originally posted by jayson View Post
            This should come out nice. Make sure you have a quality tap & die set on hand, as it is good to chase all the threads on the arms as they get pretty beat up from rust. This will also be more than ample for getting rid of any additional powder if it gets into the threads.

Also, you may want to consider new rear dust shields, my old ones were beat up and didn't want to go back on without gouging the paint. I bit the bullet and bought new ones.
            Good call on chasing the threads, tap & die set ready to go. New dust shields already in the pile of parts getting powder coated. Thanks!
            1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

Working...
            X