Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recreating LTW Risers in Aluminum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recreating LTW Risers in Aluminum

    It seems like LTW risers are getting more and more expensive due to it rarity.

    I think we can recreate them and have them machined in aluminum.

    I'm fairly good with CAD and can do initial drawing to get this project going.
    I need measurement tho as i do not have a pair to measure.

    A 3D scan will even be better.

    I have a CNC place that can make these for us once the design is finalize.

    I was just wondering how many of us will be interested in such a project.
    doing this we can actually configure the height as we want.
    From OEM size to little lower or much higher.

    also we can finally solve the fitment gap issue with the oem risers.

    Let me know what you guys think.


  • #2
    No thanks.

    We (Jim E and I) already have an OEM set cut in half and in the recreation stage. The internal (metal) structure is done and I just need someone to do the ABS shells.

    An aluminum block is not a good idea in my opinion. There is also already and an OE replica out here made from carbon from Precision Composites. You can buy a pair anytime you want for $1k. My set will be fully matching to OE and much cheaper. The goal is to get BMW to officially license it as an OE part too.

    by the way you are overlooking a design feature of OE risers. The internal metal structure that attaches the base to the top is floating inside the shell. Static mounting will lead to fitment issues. Not to mention the weight penalty of alu blocks sitting off your trunk lid.

    MSportParts | Braymond141

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      No thanks.

      We (Jim E and I) already have an OEM set cut in half and in the recreation stage. The internal (metal) structure is done and I just need someone to do the ABS shells.

      An aluminum block is not a good idea in my opinion. There is also already and an OE replica out here made from carbon from Precision Composites. You can buy a pair anytime you want for $1k. My set will be fully matching to OE and much cheaper. The goal is to get BMW to officially license it as an OE part too.

      by the way you are overlooking a design feature of OE risers. The internal metal structure that attaches the base to the top is floating inside the shell. Static mounting will lead to fitment issues. Not to mention the weight penalty of alu blocks sitting off your trunk lid.
      Wow, good to see that there work being done already on this.

      Is there thread on this?

      As for buying a rep for that much, I might as well shell a bit extra a get a used OE. Part.







      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by zimmie View Post


        As for buying a rep for that much, I might as well shell a bit extra a get a used OE. Part.






        Used OE risers are around 2k these days if you can find them, that said, precision composites is the Carbon guy from PTG, so rep is a term I'd use kinda loosely in that sense. It's kinda like Eddie Vedder doing a solo tour but playing pearl jam songs. It's not pearl jam, but it isn't a cover song either.

        Comment


        • #5
          I ordered a set of those a while ago actually, Randy is making them soon(ish?) schedule allowing. I think the price is just one of those things where yea, at first it seems like a lot for something small, but it's a made-to-order craftsman item. So really it's not bad.

          Comment


          • #6
            Does Precision Glass & Composites Inc. have a website? I found one link that is dead only... Not inclined to become a Farcebook member... I do have his number, but I wanted to "kick the tires" before I waste his time.

            Comment


            • #7
              FYI. These risers are not exact replicas of the OE ones. He never made the floating bracket inside the risers so they are not adjustable unless you drill out a little material. It's possible that he changed this but I doubt it.

              He did it the lazy way.
              Last edited by Jim E.; 08-29-2022, 09:39 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim E. View Post
                FYI. These risers are not exact replicas of the OE ones. He never made the floating bracket inside the risers so they are not adjustable unless you drill out a little material. It's possible that he changed this but I doubt it.

                He did it the lazy way.
                He made them to OE standards after our complaints. He offers both floating internal mounting and static now.

                MSportParts | Braymond141

                Comment

                Working...
                X