No announcement yet.

Changing up Suspension - Looking for Advice/Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trick with dampers is making sure that they are valved appropriately for the given spring rates being used. A custom damper like MCS/JRZ/etc can be set up to just as comfortable as anything else(arguably more so as you have far more options with respect to tuning the force/velocity curves), but you can't just order a standard set of MCS/JRZ/etc(that are valved to support 1000+ lb/in springs) and slap on soft springs and expect it to ride comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by JV_ View Post
      If you aren't happy with a Koni based setup, a Bilstein and moreso MCS will feel miserable. Stock style setup is best for outright comfort, but pairing it with aggressive tires will do your goal a little bit of a disservice. 17's are better than 18's though. Dinan and H&R OE sport springs won't give you the drop you desire.

TCK 300/400 are the most comfortable coilover setup, but it sounds like you'd be a prime candidate for Shaikh's services especially since you're local. I've met him and ridden in his car - he is everything the guys above have said, very helpful guy and knows how to make suspension work the way you want it to. I'd spend my money at Fatcat over a premium damper (been there, done that, hated them for street use/longevity).
      Thanks, will definitely be giving FatCat a call, the more I think about it the more I'm leaning that way. I really like the idea of a fully though out system, instead of buying a kit and wondering if things like my sway bars are optimal for the setup.

Comment

i has coilovers and it was unbearable. went to the dinan suspension and its divine.

Comment

Quick update if anyone is interested - After lots of thought and weighing the options I've decided to go with the Dinan Spring / OEM Sachs combo (for now at least). Parts from Dinan and FCP are on their way and I should be installing them in the next couple of weeks. Will definitely provide feedback once I have some time with the setup.

I realized that it's been over 15 years since I've had an OEM-like suspension on the car, and I honestly just want to remember what it feels like. If it's not what I'm looking for I will revisit the other options again in the future.

Really appreciate the feedback on this, thanks again!
          Last edited by AlpineIIIM3; 05-12-2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• sandymora36
            sandymora36 commented
            Editing a comment
            How did the setup end up 2 months later? I’m sick of my BC coils feeling horrid and am after a worthwhile upgrade for my vert.

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
          None of those are good options except for OE for ultimate stock like feel (pair with Dinan springs) or TCK S/A with the springs rates you selected.

All Bilstein are TERRIBLE for ride comfort on the E36.
          Sad to say, this is sooooooo true.

Comment

Finally got the new suspension installed about a week ago, will post pics soon of the install with before/after ride heights and full impressions.

Initial impressions after driving a few miles are really positive, really glad I went this route. Car is so comfy, I can't believe I dealt with coil-overs for so long. Suspension doesn't feel floaty at all, still feels stiff, and with thicker sway bars I don't notice any change in body roll. Everything is just so compliant and it simply soaks up the bumps.

I need to get it aligned properly (did a quick alignment with toe plates and digital angle gauge for the rear to safely drive a few miles.)

Comment

I don't find my PSS9's that uncomfortable really. Unless on its hardest setting, that feels like solid suspension and breaks your spine. I switch back from the M3 to the 328i on stock suspension and while it definitely feels softer, and therefor the M3 stiffer, but suits the car.

Comment

I actually have TCKline S/A 400/400 for about 8k miles now. Fantastic setup and more street friendly than most coilovers. I just recently had corner balancing done and it really came to life after an alignment with more camber.

Comment

Working...
                X