Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel fitment using stock shock housings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel fitment using stock shock housings?

Wondering how aggressive someone has gotten with their rim sizes without rubbing while running stock shock housings in the front? Not looking to roll fenders or run crazy camber.

There's a pretty good amount of room up there, you can run 8.5 with 245s easily. You will likely need some amount of spacer, which will vary depending on what wheel width you have, and what suspension you have since some setups are physically larger profile and sit closer to the tire than others. Camber is also advisable, don't need to go crazy.
    Last edited by Nate047; 03-17-2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
      There's a pretty good amount of room up there, you can run 8.5 with 245s easily. You will likely need some amount of spacer, which will vary depending on what wheel width you have, and what suspension you have since some setups are physically larger profile and sit closer to the tire than others. Camber is also advisable, don't need to go crazy.
      How big of a role does offset play when factoring in wheel width? I’m looking at something more concave (17x8.5 et22) vs a flat faced wheel with the same width.

Comment

The short answer is it matters a lot. If you are at stock ride height and don't want any camber, you're gonna want something more like 8.5 ET35 or higher.

IF you want to go down the rabbit hole, 8.5 ET22 is gonna need camber and/or trimmed rear fenders. Fronts might be fine with just camber depending on the tire.

If you don't have camber, and if you don't lower the ride height, it's going to look wack as hell like the wheels sticking out from the car.

Here's a good website for reference:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
          The short answer is it matters a lot. If you are at stock ride height and don't want any camber, you're gonna want something more like 8.5 ET35 or higher.

IF you want to go down the rabbit hole, 8.5 ET22 is gonna need camber and/or trimmed rear fenders. Fronts might be fine with just camber depending on the tire.

If you don't have camber, and if you don't lower the ride height, it's going to look wack as hell like the wheels sticking out from the car.

Here's a good website for reference:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
          Thank you!

Comment

I ran 17x9 +31 (equivalent of 17x8.5 +25) on the rear of my 325iS with as much camber as possible without adjustable links and, under compression, they rubbed severely on the inner skin of the outer quarter. I was on Bilsteins with H&R Race springs, so it had a combination of a fairly soft spring rate and a too-low ride height. Fender lips were rolled.

I think I ran something like -3 degrees of negative camber in the front with a 15mm spacer for spring clearance, so it was effectively a 17x9 +26. 235/40R17 tires front/rear initially, but I switched to 225/45s front/rear because I didn't have much money back in '07/08 and because a 325iS with S50 cams doesn't need more tire than that.

Japanese wheels have always caught my eye because I grew up with 240SXs, but I need concavity so I've never run any on my E36s. I think the E36 M3 is such a sweet car in nearly factory stock form that I'd rather deal with mediocre fitment and standard ride height than compromise its goodness just to fit the wheels I've always liked.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Green M3.4.5 View Post
              I ran 17x9 +31 (equivalent of 17x8.5 +25) on the rear of my 325iS with as much camber as possible without adjustable links and, under compression, they rubbed severely on the inner skin of the outer quarter. I was on Bilsteins with H&R Race springs, so it had a combination of a fairly soft spring rate and a too-low ride height. Fender lips were rolled.

I think I ran something like -3 degrees of negative camber in the front with a 15mm spacer for spring clearance, so it was effectively a 17x9 +26. 235/40R17 tires front/rear initially, but I switched to 225/45s front/rear because I didn't have much money back in '07/08 and because a 325iS with S50 cams doesn't need more tire than that.

Japanese wheels have always caught my eye because I grew up with 240SXs, but I need concavity so I've never run any on my E36s. I think the E36 M3 is such a sweet car in nearly factory stock form that I'd rather deal with mediocre fitment and standard ride height than compromise its goodness just to fit the wheels I've always liked.
              That’s my goal- keep relatively stock suspension geometry and height while running a more aggressive rim profile without rubbing.

Comment

Working...
              X