No announcement yet.

Modern / performance brake kit options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If going for aesthetic reasons as well as functional, I understand. Similar to Jim's experience tracking his car, I tracked mine for 7-8 years with stock calipers with aftermarket rotors (Zimmermann and DBA) and never ran out of brakes, especially with PFC08 pads. I did have the calipers rebuilt with stainless steel pistons based on my mechanic's recommendation, although it is hard to tell whether that had a significant benefit.

Comment

Just some more fodder for this thread, there is a rear AP Racing bolt-on solution for E36 M3 on the European website

https://apracing.com/performance-upg...-standard-disc

After chatting with Essex, it seems this is the same kit that also goes on the E46 M3 rear (but using the OE E36 M3 rear rotor). No idea if this also would fit under DS1's (the website claims 17in wheel). Just something that could round out the setup.

Last edited by jayson; 02-28-2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I have PFC Direct Drive rotors, 08 pads, and stock calipers. These have been great on track and honestly aside from noise and dust, the pads even fine on the street.

I too am interested in a change mostly for aesthetic reasons since I'm not tracking this car anymore. Unfortunately there isn't a great cost friendly solution for this... Of these options, would do the APs front and rear.

There's also a bunch of E46 M3 guys who use Megane RS or Aston Martin front calipers and 996 rears to help with the bias issue. I don't know specifically how all of that translates to the E36 but could be worth looking at. You could email them and ask if they've ever done an E36. I would imagine it would involve machining off some material to fit 325mm rotors much like how you have to do with 996 fronts, but the brackets might be different. Tell us what you find out!

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collection...-big-brake-kit

Comment

Originally posted by jayson View Post
          Just some more fodder for this thread, there is a rear AP Racing bolt-on solution for E36 M3 on the European website

https://apracing.com/performance-upg...-standard-disc

After chatting with Essex, it seems this is the same kit that also goes on the E46 M3 rear (but using the OE E36 M3 rear rotor). No idea if this also would fit under DS1's (the website claims 17in wheel). Just something that could round out the setup.

I strongly recommend AP Racing CP5200 Front and CP5144 Rear for any E36 M3. These nowadays needs special order. I have these on my M3. The rear CP5144 is a direct bolt on without any modification or bracket. The braking feel is just spot on, very very good I would day (I have used EBC YellowStuff and BlueStuff on them).

See the feeler photos below
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by warez View Post

I strongly recommend AP Racing CP5200 Front and CP5144 Rear for any E36 M3. These nowadays needs special order. I have these on my M3. The rear CP5144 is a direct bolt on without any modification or bracket. The braking feel is just spot on, very very good I would day (I have used EBC YellowStuff and BlueStuff on them).

Awesome setup - I knew someone had to be running it. Did you order everything direct from Essex?

Comment

Does the rear caliper work with the stock rotor? Or do you need to step up to the 328mm diameter rotor?

Comment

In for follow up info as well.

Comment

Just to add yet another option to this thread, 850ci front calipers (Brembo) are direct bolt-on it would seem, running E46 M3 front rotors.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6...0aAh4hEALw_wcB

Apparently, combining this front with the 996/Cayman/Boxter rear calipers is a good setup. Some folks report a squishy pedal / longer travel due to the E36 master cylinder being undersized for the caliper? Not sure if I would consider it, but worth calling out.

Comment

Originally posted by jayson View Post

Awesome setup - I knew someone had to be running it. Did you order everything direct from Essex?
                    Yes, everything was custom order from UK. They no longer resell CP5144 and CP5200 but still avail for custom order but don't take my word, that was almost 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post

Does the rear caliper work with the stock rotor? Or do you need to step up to the 328mm diameter rotor?
                      Direct bolt on to the rear without any modification.

Comment

Direct bolt on to the rear without any modification.
                        Can you give us more detail about the front? Is it a bracket and factory rotor? I have floating rotors from the European car and Style 24's and would like to retain the look.

Comment

Originally posted by OmairK View Post

Can you give us more detail about the front? Is it a bracket and factory rotor? I have floating rotors from the European car and Style 24's and would like to retain the look.
                          From what I can remember, you will need to get the ship to fabricate a custom bracket for the front CP5200 calipers.

Comment

AP Racing in UK confirmed today that the CP5200 is no longer available for special order (and discontinued several years ago).

The only available kit for the front would be the 6 Piston front CP5555-1009 (requires 18” wheels to clear)

https://apracing.com/performance-upg...it-cp5555-1009

Comment

I bought Lees (Massive) adapter kit in 2015, the AP version instead of the WW one. Calipers i bought from Essex (CP8350-24/25S4L) via Roland to get them here and sourced the WW 332x32 blanks locally. Has held up to constant track abuse since, zero issues

average pic via ig
                              ​​​​​​​https://www.instagram.com/p/CBDA6T1p...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Comment

Working...
                              X