Rear Clunk When Shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMark View Post

I do remember reading this from you on a different post I found. Do you believe the weight reduction and larger diameter are beneficial enough to consider swapping?
    It's not the weight savings I would be after. It is wheel hop mitigation. From my experience the solid axle cars hop a lot more than the hollow axle cars. GTO guys will mix one side solid and one side hollow to help with hop too. That said; suspension setup is also critical in reducing wheel hop.

Hollow bars do offer weight savings without a loss in strength.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

It's not the weight savings I would be after. It is wheel hop mitigation. From my experience the solid axle cars hop a lot more than the hollow axle cars. GTO guys will mix one side solid and one side hollow to help with hop too. That said; suspension setup is also critical in reducing wheel hop.

Hollow bars do offer weight savings without a loss in strength.
      To clarify, is there a distinguishable part number between hollow vs solid axle? Separately, is it backwards compatible between 4 or 6 bolt drive shafts?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post

To clarify, is there a distinguishable part number between hollow vs solid axle? Separately, is it backwards compatible between 4 or 6 bolt drive shafts?
        https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...68#33212228156

What's the specific functional concern with the output shafts to the 4 or 6 bolt driveshafts? I'm not sure I understand your question.

Keep in mind the hollow (38mm) version will touch aftermarket sway bars when you lift the car. They do touch mine. We decided to get the solid bars because I believe Brett said they should clear them.

Also don't forget that BMW says: "Bolts with ribbed teeth must be replaced after they have been released."
        Last edited by Jim E.; 02-27-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X