motorsport strut brace and hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorsport strut brace and hood?

hey guys dumb but simple question but for you guys that installed a motorsport strut bar (or any other for that matter), did you have to remove the hood insulation or adjust the hood latch itself? I just got brand new hood insulation and doesn't look like the strut brace would clear with the hood closed down?

You generally don't have to remove the hood insulation. It may touch a little but that's not a big deal. You could have opted for the euro hood insulation which might give you a little more clearance. The euro appears to have more clearance but don't hold me to it. The M3 GT came with hood insulation.
    Last edited by Jim E.; 12-13-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

thanks Jim. learn something new every day. Didn't realize there were differ hood insulation between the coupes.

Comment

Fits without problems. Even without a brace you can see impressions of various under hood parts.

I do see different insulation partnumbers, but only one for 9/96+ coupe/cabrio.

Comment

So I just ordered the rally road one impulsively which is one of the better motorsport reps out there. Any idea how to get the replacement nuts and sticker?

Comment

• craigjimc
            craigjimc commented
            Editing a comment
            Notes from my RR brace installation: :"Installed 6 domed barrel nuts (p/n 51 71 2 268 565) on the 2 front strut brace mounts. These nuts
            are from the 1995 M3 Lightweight. Strut mounts required slight "ovaling" of most bolt holes to
            allow proper alignment & a 10-mm ID flat washer under each nut to make up for the lesser thickness
            of mount base material as compared to the original Lightweight strut brace (barrel nuts extended
            below the bottom of the base plates preventing an even mating surface on the inner fender). The
            barrel nuts significantly increased thread engagement on the standard length studs."
            Purchased nuts thru ECS.

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
          So I just ordered the rally road one impulsively which is one of the better motorsport reps out there. Any idea how to get the replacement nuts and sticker?
          Cap nuts: 51712268565
          Emblems: 36112228660
          1997 M3 Sedan Journal

Comment

One of the better reps? Ha, it's a f**** carbon copy.

Though the RR might even be better, as the mounts are billet alu I believe, while the BMW ones are very soft porous cast alu mounts.

Comment

Working...
            X