Jim's 1999 M3 Restoration and Street GTR Hommage Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by euroe36m3 View Post
    The Gr.A air filter can be ordered from your local stealer if not NLA yet. Part numbers: 11612700522, about 300 USD. I just have the 288/272 set. Are you using bucket under shim followers? Would you have the part number of the schrick valve springs?

I also have a full set of 280/272 S62 bmw motorsport cams like used by PTG for a e31 S62 project that is even lower on priority, maybe in a decade i will get to that...

I have many pics I can share but this forum will not allow me to post them, am I doing something wrong?
    Air filter was discontinued unfortunately.

I use standard bucket/shim adjusters. I don't have the schrick part numbers but I'll try to dig them out. Not sure the engine builder ever gave them to me actually.

Comment

• Jim- perhaps you can send the filter to AFE in CA to reverse engineer it for you?

Or, who made the filter Mahle, Mann? They might be willing to do a run because you can't be the only person on earth that needs air filters which fit that housing.

Comment

• Originally posted by J!m View Post
        Jim- perhaps you can send the filter to AFE in CA to reverse engineer it for you?

Or, who made the filter Mahle, Mann? They might be willing to do a run because you can't be the only person on earth that needs air filters which fit that housing.
        BMC made the filter just like the CSL filter. Its almost the same as a K+N filter in construction. I think ITG makes custom filters:
        https://www.itgairfilters.com/category/custom-fit/

There is also a 4 layer filter that may be available, part number 1161 7740954, the other number is a 2 layer.
        Last edited by euroe36m3; 09-15-2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim E. View Post

Air filter was discontinued unfortunately.

I use standard bucket/shim adjusters. I don't have the schrick part numbers but I'll try to dig them out. Not sure the engine builder ever gave them to me actually.
          The stock followers are not safe past 8k rpm so be carefull. The Gr.A spec used bucker over shim followers.

Comment

My airbox is sadely just a replica but a near perfect copy. How did you ever get hold of the original, I have been searching for one for over 6 years since they became NLA.
            Is this you Lukas? You know Daan/Danilo? They had found a contact within BMW M (old emplyee) that was going to help them out with the unobtainium Grp A ECU. The from one day to another all communation just ceased. Guy probably was told he could not share anything and that was it.

It was me who came across it on German Ebay. I knew about Jim’s build and just thought it has his name written all over it. So contacted Jim and the rest is history. There was some challenge in all the logistics and all, but it the end it all worked out.

Would have loved to buy it myself, but it would be a nice ornament at best as I am not into tuning and Jim already had the other Grp A parts so he can actually use it. It’s too nice to be just an ornament.

Comment

• Originally posted by MParallel View Post

Is this you Lukas? You know Daan/Danilo? They had found a contact within BMW M (old emplyee) that was going to help them out with the unobtainium Grp A ECU. The from one day to another all communation just ceased. Guy probably was told he could not share anything and that was it.

It was me who came across it on German Ebay. I knew about Jim’s build and just thought it has his name written all over it. So contacted Jim and the rest is history. There was some challenge in all the logistics and all, but it the end it all worked out.

Would have loved to buy it myself, but it would be a nice ornament at best as I am not into tuning and Jim already had the other Grp A parts so he can actually use it. It’s too nice to be just an ornament.
              Hi it is indeed me. I wish I had found it 1st! What did it sell for?

Comment

• Well I can't disclose, that's up to Jim. What I can tell is that the asking price of the ad (since this was obviously public info) was €5000.-

Comment

• Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                  Well I can't disclose, that's up to Jim. What I can tell is that the asking price of the ad (since this was obviously public info) was €5000.-
                  Thank good it was not like 1000 euros as I would feel bad for missing out. I remember trying to buy one new over 10 years ago and it was about 7500 euro for the 3 parts. I was a student and could not afford it as I already blew my money on an M3. BMW motorsport told me not to worry they will not be NLA and are made after an order is placed. 5 years later I finally decide to order and they are NLA, the contact I had at Motorsport no longer works there and the new staff is clueless about the now classic parts. This includes the gr.a ecu. I then searched for a used one but as these gr.a/gtr cars were made for a FIA class that BMW pulled out of, they never officially raced and not many parts were made. Only PTG was an official BMW backed race shop. PTG never used the full gr.a spec and only a hand full of cars were made (something like 11) so getting used parts from them is not possible, some lucky people managed to buy their old stock after they stopped racing for BMW and switched to PANOZ if i remember correclty.

Comment

• Why are people seeking the Grp A ECU/software? I had one, it's not street friendly. You'd be better off with a custom tune.

Comment

• Originally posted by JV_ View Post
                      Why are people seeking the Grp A ECU/software? I had one, it's not street friendly. You'd be better off with a custom tune.
                      And now you have the answer from my friend Jon.

Comment

• And now it's time to gather up the interior.

Comment

• Originally posted by JV_ View Post
                          Why are people seeking the Grp A ECU/software? I had one, it's not street friendly. You'd be better off with a custom tune.
                          Wow, you are the 1st person ever that actually have some experience with the gr.a ECU. Was it the mss50 gr.a or a 6A ECU?

Comment

Wow, you are the 1st person ever that actually have some experience with the gr.a ECU. Was it the mss50 gr.a or a 6A ECU?
                            MSS50 - I built mine as a fully functional road car.

Comment

• Someone do a full dump of the Gruppe A bin.

Comment

• I would love to share that file with the tuner I use, if it becomes available.

Comment

Working...
                                X