Need a referral for wheel refinished place in socal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a referral for wheel refinished place in socal

Hello people. I got some LTW style 24 wheels. Though they look good, I want them to look better. Hence I am looking for a shop in SoCal that can refinish these wheels professionally.
    If anyone know of a place let me know.
    Note: Braymond, I read about your advice on proper steps to refinish these wheels. I want to follow this advice and accomplish this if I can find a reputable shop.
    This was your advice on Bimmerforum:
    Strip the wheels (acid most likely)
    -Have the wheels straightened (they likely need it and it is critical for diamond cutting)
    -Coarse blast (full wheel)
    -Fine blast (full wheel, should look bright alu)
    -Diamond cut the lips and faces with a dull finish
    -Scoth pad if not dull enough
    -Clear coat
    Last edited by Positiveions; 01-04-2021, 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by Positiveions View Post
    Hello people. I got some LTW style 24 wheels. Though they look good, I want them to look better. Hence I am looking for a shop in SoCal that can refinish these wheels professionally.
    If anyone know of a place let me know.
    Note: Braymond, I read about your advice on proper steps to refinish these wheels. I want to follow this advice and accomplish this if I can find a reputable shop.
    This was your advice on Bimmerforum:
    Strip the wheels (acid most likely)
    -Have the wheels straightened (they likely need it and it is critical for diamond cutting)
    -Coarse blast (full wheel)
    -Fine blast (full wheel, should look bright alu)
    -Diamond cut the lips and faces with a dull finish
    -Scoth pad if not dull enough
    -Clear coat
    I’m definitely in for the results. Unfortunately I don’t know who to recommend. You may want to have a 5th wheel on hand to drive home the finish you are after.

I have a stamped set I want to convert to GT spec. I hope you find someone, I’ll use them too.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

I’m definitely in for the results. Unfortunately I don’t know who to recommend. You may want to have a 5th wheel on hand to drive home the finish you are after.

I have a stamped set I want to convert to GT spec. I hope you find someone, I’ll use them too.
      As soon as I am done with the backyard I’m going to start searching for shops. Not so long ago, I found a shop on Yelp that is located in Azusa. It has some great reviews. I want to call-up the place whenever I can. Will keep you posted.

Comment

I have had two sets of wheels refinished by Wheel Enhancement by LAX. One powder coat and one paint. They do a great job, I was originally referred to them by Tony Callas who is a world class Porsche builder who restores 959s and stuff like that. I took his referral on faith and it was exactly what I expected from a guy like that. It was $325 per wheel for paint (might be less for 17s), $100 per wheel for straightening if needed, and I think powder coating was maybe a little less than paint but I can't find the receipt right now. dave (at) wheelenhancement (dot) com

edit: I would ask them about that specific process, I'm sure that's doable but may cost more if that's an out of the ordinary ask
        Last edited by Nate047; 01-12-2021, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
          I have had two sets of wheels refinished by Wheel Enhancement by LAX. One powder coat and one paint. They do a great job, I was originally referred to them by Tony Callas who is a world class Porsche builder who restores 959s and stuff like that. I took his referral on faith and it was exactly what I expected from a guy like that. It was $325 per wheel for paint (might be less for 17s), $100 per wheel for straightening if needed, and I think powder coating was maybe a little less than paint but I can't find the receipt right now. dave (at) wheelenhancement (dot) com

edit: I would ask them about that specific process, I'm sure that's doable but may cost more if that's an out of the ordinary ask
          Yeah, I don’t mind as long as he does a good job that is close to factory finish.
          I found out through my search that McKenna Porsche does wheel refinishing.

Comment

$325 per wheel and that's just paint?! OUCH. I guess if it's done right, then screw it, it's worth it. I hate to ask what the price is to do the cnc cutting.

Comment

I emailed Wheel Enhancement about refinishing mine. Let's see what they say or if they give me an insane price because of my insane level of control over the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
                I emailed Wheel Enhancement about refinishing mine. Let's see what they say or if they give me an insane price because of my insane level of control over the process.
                Yea it's $325/wheel for paint and prep. I'm curious what they quote you too. They are not the cheapest guys around, but the work is really great and I have no concerns about longevity or bad processes, for example they would not mount tires to the wheels they painted until the paint had cured for 4 weeks. I know they won't ding up my wheels when mounting them, etc...

Comment

Yea it's $325/wheel for paint and prep. I'm curious what they quote you too. They are not the cheapest guys around, but the work is really great and I have no concerns about longevity or bad processes, for example they would not mount tires to the wheels they painted until the paint had cured for 4 weeks. I know they won't ding up my wheels when mounting them, etc...
                  They don't have a machine for CNC cutting. No dice.

Comment

Hmm, yea honestly this is gonna get expensive if you need the lips CNC machined. I do know another guy who might be worth asking, Andy Bondio is one of the best fabricators in LA with a looooong resume. He is kind of a character and likely won't want the job, but would be worth asking as he may have a referral or some advise if nothing else.

Bondio Fabrication

Website
                    Directions

Save
                    Call
                    5.02 Google reviews
                    Auto parts store in West Carson, California
                    Address: 22130 Vermont Ave # G, Torrance, CA 90502
                    Hours:
                    Open ⋅ Closes 4PM
                    Phone: (310) 783-0515

Comment

I don’t have any referrals in socal but do have a place in norcal that has a lathe for diamond cutting wheels. They contract with the local mercedes dealers in the bay area for refinishing because s lot of their newer cars carry diamond cut wheels. So you may want to contact your local dealer to see who they contract that stuff out to.

it is normally $185 per wheel up here and it includes straightening, stripping, powder coating, lathe cutting, and then clearing. Note that depending on the severity of the curb rash (or if has already been cut before) then you can only recut once or twice more.

i had my wife’s glk350 amg wheels redone there and learned a few things about these finishes. they are always temporary and will need to be redone vs a painted finish eventually.

moreover, the stock mercedes clear was already failing causing the diamond cut finish to corrode because there was no protection which is common. Apparently the average life of clear lacquer on a smooth diamond cut finish is 2 years because they don’t have the advantage a mechanical bite to adhere to like primer or rough finished.

The shop disclosed to me that even the lacquer they use which is watered down because of CA regulations will be no better than the stock mercedes clear and will only last 2 years at the most. Which means the machined surface will require regular waxing or sealing to protect the alloy

Given it was my wife’s car, I made the decision just to powder coat everything an alloy like-silver for ease of care after having the wheel lathed instead of before which is normally the process.

just something to consider when taking on this project depending on your goals
                      Last edited by bmwstephen; 01-16-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X