Bosch/AL Euro Headlight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch/AL Euro Headlight Question

Hey all, I'm about to put an order in to Schmiedmann for some new doorcards and new Euro H7 headlights for my 1995 M3. My car has a 05/94 build date. I noticed on Schmiedmann's product description they say: "All models with Bosch headligts year 9/94- (not compact)" so I'm wondering if there's going to be some compatibility issues.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...ct=63128363493
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...ct=63128363494

I'm also confused by the price, about 280 for the pair seems way too good to be true. I usually use ECS and they look like they have the same pair for $730

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...air/e36hdltkt/

If anyone has recommendations for adaptor plugs (I know Brett had some on his site a while back) I am all ears. Also I have a Dinan carbon CAI and I think I remember seeing some detailed M3Forum threads on modifying the lamps to fit.

Thanks!

The ones you linked to from Schmiedmann are for 9/94+ cars so, other that EUR/US differences, there will be no compatibility issues with your car. They're also branded Magneti Marelli rather than Bosch/BMW but they're made by Bosch so it seems pointless to me to pay for original BMW versions which will be identical.

Note the note on the page: "The Bosch logo isn´t on the headlights anymore, instead you will find the subsuppliers logo Magneti Marelli, but the headlight is exactly the same."

I have no idea on US wiring sorry.

Comment

The H7 units are from 9/94 that's why you see it. These are open parabole units. Most prefer the elipsoid projector units, which use H1 bulbs. Contrary to modern cars, the more modern looking projector (H1) units, are actually the older tech when it comes to the E36.
      Unit for unit, the H7 have a better light output. Which would make sense as they are the more modern ones (at the time).

Fitment wise, they are all the same, so you can choose H1 or H7 units regardsless of your build date.

Comment

Ok cool that’s exactly what I was looking for. I actually decided on the H7s based on some of your bimmerforums posts. Thanks!
        Last edited by cypher448; 10-01-2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Don't forget the wiring conversion pigtail if you are installing euro headlights in a US car. Brett was selling them. Not sure if he still is as I don't see them on his website.
          Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

yea I remember he had those on the site a while back when I bought the trunk reinforcement plate. Are these all pretty much created equal? I want to keep all the functionality of the euro lights.

I did find a bimmerforums threads detailing how to make one (last post): https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nnectors/page2

Comment

Originally posted by cypher448 View Post
              yea I remember he had those on the site a while back when I bought the trunk reinforcement plate. Are these all pretty much created equal? I want to keep all the functionality of the euro lights.

I did find a bimmerforums threads detailing how to make one (last post): https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nnectors/page2
              Unlikely created equal. Just PM Brett and see if he has any for sale.
              Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

I never had them on the site. I can make a set if you're not in a rush.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by cypher448 View Post

I don’t recall the EU lights having more functionality.
                  It’s city lights (parking lights in US I think) the low beam (main beam) and high beam.

So 3 settings.

If you add EU stalk, you can set what we call parking lights, which you use when parked on a dark road. This turns on the rear light and front city light on one side of the car to mKe your car visible.
                  I might have used it two times in 14 years but still.

Comment

Thanks Brett, that would be awesome! I'll send you a PM.

That's interesting about the stalk and the parking lights. I heard the rear taillights are different too, with rear fogs

Comment

All LHD cars have a foglight on the left side.

I’ve always been surprised the US doesn’t have a foglight.

Unless there is no fog in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                        All LHD cars have a foglight on the left side.

I’ve always been surprised the US doesn’t have a foglight.

Unless there is no fog in the US.
                        We prefer either full-send in the fog without light, or using our fog lights when there's no fog.

I can't remember the last time I saw a car using fog lights appropriately.

Comment

Post up some pictures when you get them installed! I was looking at ordering the H7s as well.

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
                          I never had them on the site. I can make a set if you're not in a rush.
                          I'll take a set too if you don't mind...

Comment

Working...
                          X