Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RallyRoad Strut Brace

Howdy friends,

To those that own the RallyRoad strut brace, are you also running the OE Motorsport cap nuts? Link here for reference.

I'm running Vorshlag camber plates, and the thread pitch on the studs appear to match my old stock strut mounts, M8x1.25. Can anyone confirm those cap nuts are M8x1.25? Trying not to make assumptions about fitment before I spend $70+ on those six fasteners.

Are there any other fitment concerns I should be aware of? I've deleted ASC, and I'm running notched OE strut tower reinforcements.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Go cheap. Use E46 M3 black plastic caps for strut mount bolts p/n 51 71 7 896 829. $6.18 ea from ECS.

Comment

I'm running Rally Road struct brace with OE Motorsport cap nuts. I also have the notched reinforcement plates. There is a picture in my journal about 3/4 the way on the main posting. I had no problem with fitment. I'm running GC camber plates and Motion Control struts. The Motorsport caps look great and are worth the money.
      Last edited by JitteryJoe; 08-28-2020, 07:40 PM.
      Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

You can use either. The cap nuts are only necessary if your strut mounts have short studs.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

The capnuts also center the strutplates.

At least on the OEM bar, but since the RR strut is
          a carbon copy, I assume it works the same.

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone. Good point on stud length, the studs on the Vorshlag plates look to be a bit longer than stock. I'll make it work one way or another. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
              The capnuts also center the strutplates.

At least on the OEM bar, but since the RR strut is
              a carbon copy, I assume it works the same.
              It is the same and they do. Normal nuts are sub-optimal for the RR (or OEM) bar.

I'm not sure if Bilstein studs are considered "short" but they certainly don't allow a normal nut to be fully wound on with the reinforcements and RR bar because that's what I run.

Comment

The mounting holes in the (at least) OEM plates is much larger than the studs of the topmounts.

Using the original nuts, while not having much flesh to start with, would have the strutplates move all over the place.

So the capnut double up as both centering devices as making sure the plates are hold down snugly.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                  So the capnut double up as both centering devices as making sure the plates are hold down snugly.
                  If it wasn't clear, yes, that's what I was agreeing to in my last post. 👍

Comment

The cap nuts are not necessary for either bar, but they are the correct fastener to use.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Working...
                    X