Welcome Dave!

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Found some good info...thx Joe.

Leave a comment:

• JitteryJoe
    commented on 's reply
    Youtube can be your friend here. I recall seeing a few videos on how to install. Also, you have to get the old one out.

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post

Rear engine seal? You can buy the seal separately or already mounted in a new carrier. The latter would be easier I think. I removed the carrier and used a rubber mallet and flat piece of steel to gently drive a new seal into place, then remounted the carrier. I think you could mount without removing the carrier using the same method.
    I had a thread on this in the now missing m3forum.
    Yes, rear engine seal. I bought a seal that is already mounted in an installation guide thingy, but don't want to over or under install it. But I may be am being nit picky.

Leave a comment:

• JitteryJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveydM3 View Post
    BTW, how necessary is it to use the proper drift to seat the rear main seal? Been trying to buy one but they have been back ordered forever.
    Rear engine seal? You can buy the seal separately or already mounted in a new carrier. The latter would be easier I think. I removed the carrier and used a rubber mallet and flat piece of steel to gently drive a new seal into place, then remounted the carrier. I think you could mount without removing the carrier using the same method.
    I had a thread on this in the now missing m3forum.

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    BTW, how necessary is it to use the proper drift to seat the rear main seal? Been trying to buy one but they have been back ordered forever.

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Have fun with the detent kit

Do you have the drift pin tools?
    I do! Thanks. BTW, really enjoyed your journal, Joe.

Leave a comment:

• JitteryJoe
    replied
    Have fun with the detent kit

Do you have the drift pin tools?
    Last edited by JitteryJoe; 09-02-2020, 09:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Johal,

That great info. I already have the Rogue setup so will be going that way this time. Not sure what the difference is in the PP compared to a stock E36, but the clutch disc has two different friction surfaces; I think ceramic on one side and organic on the other or something like that. I busted my wrist in March and just got my cast off a couple weeks ago, so finally got the car in the air and about to dig in. Have the parts to do just about everything that can be done to the trans while out as well, guibo, center support bearing, pilot, driveshaft center bushing, rebuilding my shifter, detent kit, rear subframe and diff bushings, LCA bushings, etc

Originally posted by Johal E32 View Post

If you want to save some money, use the JB flywheel paired with the E34 M5 sprung hub clutch disc (mount it backwards) and the OEM E36 M3 pressure plate. I have this setup on my '98 and it feels great. Or you can use the entire E34 M5 clutch and pressure plate assembly (then you don't mount the clutch disc backwards). I specifically used the E36 M3 pressure plate as I recall it is lighter than the E34 M5 pressure plate (not sure how much lighter)..

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...931034#fitment
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m3-21212228065

Leave a comment:

• Johal E32
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveydM3 View Post
    Currently on the original clutch from 1998. Still works but have to do the shift detent job on the trans so just going through everything from the pilot bearing back to the diff mounts since everything in the driveline is original. You should have seen my guibo...

I am going to the Rogue clutch with the 14lb steel FW. I've always wanted to try a LTW setup, and willing to tolerate the additional noise. I pretty much heel toe all the time, everywhere without even thinking about it, so just want to try it once before I croak. :-) Felt the 14 (15,5lb according to JBR) with the spring hub disk would be a nice compromise. It was a tough choice but I think I drive sporty enough to enjoy it. I DD an 2012 Audi A6 and a C5 Vette, so the M3 is just a toy.
    If you want to save some money, use the JB flywheel paired with the E34 M5 sprung hub clutch disc (mount it backwards) and the OEM E36 M3 pressure plate. I have this setup on my '98 and it feels great. Or you can use the entire E34 M5 clutch and pressure plate assembly (then you don't mount the clutch disc backwards). I specifically used the E36 M3 pressure plate as I recall it is lighter than the E34 M5 pressure plate (not sure how much lighter)..

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...931034#fitment
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m3-21212228065
    Last edited by Johal E32; 09-01-2020, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
    Welcome, Dave!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Currently on the original clutch from 1998. Still works but have to do the shift detent job on the trans so just going through everything from the pilot bearing back to the diff mounts since everything in the driveline is original. You should have seen my guibo...

I am going to the Rogue clutch with the 14lb steel FW. I've always wanted to try a LTW setup, and willing to tolerate the additional noise. I pretty much heel toe all the time, everywhere without even thinking about it, so just want to try it once before I croak. :-) Felt the 14 (15,5lb according to JBR) with the spring hub disk would be a nice compromise. It was a tough choice but I think I drive sporty enough to enjoy it. I DD an 2012 Audi A6 and a C5 Vette, so the M3 is just a toy.

Welcome! Are you currently using a stock clutch? Why a lightweight setup?
    Last edited by DaveydM3; 08-31-2020, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DaveydM3
    replied
    Thanks!

Originally posted by SpaghettiM3 View Post
    Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you.

Leave a comment:

• JitteryJoe
    replied
    Welcome! Are you currently using a stock clutch? Why a lightweight setup?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X