Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcoming Myself

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welcoming Myself

    What's up? Have my M3 up on my Quickjack for a new lightweight flywheel/clutch job and thought I'd join case I run into some trouble. Going through all suspension, trans, diff and subframe bushings, fixing the trans detents, etc etc. Glad to be here!

    Dave

  • #2
    Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you.
    ‚ÄčInstagram

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome, Dave!

      Comment


      • #4
        Welcome! Are you currently using a stock clutch? Why a lightweight setup?
        Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks!

          Originally posted by SpaghettiM3 View Post
          Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Currently on the original clutch from 1998. Still works but have to do the shift detent job on the trans so just going through everything from the pilot bearing back to the diff mounts since everything in the driveline is original. You should have seen my guibo...

            I am going to the Rogue clutch with the 14lb steel FW. I've always wanted to try a LTW setup, and willing to tolerate the additional noise. I pretty much heel toe all the time, everywhere without even thinking about it, so just want to try it once before I croak. :-) Felt the 14 (15,5lb according to JBR) with the spring hub disk would be a nice compromise. It was a tough choice but I think I drive sporty enough to enjoy it. I DD an 2012 Audi A6 and a C5 Vette, so the M3 is just a toy.

            Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post
            Welcome! Are you currently using a stock clutch? Why a lightweight setup?
            Last edited by DaveydM3; 08-31-2020, 03:27 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
              Welcome, Dave!
              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DaveydM3 View Post
                Currently on the original clutch from 1998. Still works but have to do the shift detent job on the trans so just going through everything from the pilot bearing back to the diff mounts since everything in the driveline is original. You should have seen my guibo...

                I am going to the Rogue clutch with the 14lb steel FW. I've always wanted to try a LTW setup, and willing to tolerate the additional noise. I pretty much heel toe all the time, everywhere without even thinking about it, so just want to try it once before I croak. :-) Felt the 14 (15,5lb according to JBR) with the spring hub disk would be a nice compromise. It was a tough choice but I think I drive sporty enough to enjoy it. I DD an 2012 Audi A6 and a C5 Vette, so the M3 is just a toy.
                If you want to save some money, use the JB flywheel paired with the E34 M5 sprung hub clutch disc (mount it backwards) and the OEM E36 M3 pressure plate. I have this setup on my '98 and it feels great. Or you can use the entire E34 M5 clutch and pressure plate assembly (then you don't mount the clutch disc backwards). I specifically used the E36 M3 pressure plate as I recall it is lighter than the E34 M5 pressure plate (not sure how much lighter)..

                https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...931034#fitment
                https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m3-21212228065
                Last edited by Johal E32; 09-01-2020, 11:42 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Johal,

                  That great info. I already have the Rogue setup so will be going that way this time. Not sure what the difference is in the PP compared to a stock E36, but the clutch disc has two different friction surfaces; I think ceramic on one side and organic on the other or something like that. I busted my wrist in March and just got my cast off a couple weeks ago, so finally got the car in the air and about to dig in. Have the parts to do just about everything that can be done to the trans while out as well, guibo, center support bearing, pilot, driveshaft center bushing, rebuilding my shifter, detent kit, rear subframe and diff bushings, LCA bushings, etc

                  Originally posted by Johal E32 View Post

                  If you want to save some money, use the JB flywheel paired with the E34 M5 sprung hub clutch disc (mount it backwards) and the OEM E36 M3 pressure plate. I have this setup on my '98 and it feels great. Or you can use the entire E34 M5 clutch and pressure plate assembly (then you don't mount the clutch disc backwards). I specifically used the E36 M3 pressure plate as I recall it is lighter than the E34 M5 pressure plate (not sure how much lighter)..

                  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...931034#fitment
                  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...m3-21212228065

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Have fun with the detent kit

                    Do you have the drift pin tools?
                    Last edited by JitteryJoe; 09-02-2020, 09:35 AM.
                    Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post
                      Have fun with the detent kit

                      Do you have the drift pin tools?
                      I do! Thanks. BTW, really enjoyed your journal, Joe.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        BTW, how necessary is it to use the proper drift to seat the rear main seal? Been trying to buy one but they have been back ordered forever.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DaveydM3 View Post
                          BTW, how necessary is it to use the proper drift to seat the rear main seal? Been trying to buy one but they have been back ordered forever.
                          Rear engine seal? You can buy the seal separately or already mounted in a new carrier. The latter would be easier I think. I removed the carrier and used a rubber mallet and flat piece of steel to gently drive a new seal into place, then remounted the carrier. I think you could mount without removing the carrier using the same method.
                          I had a thread on this in the now missing m3forum.
                          Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post

                            Rear engine seal? You can buy the seal separately or already mounted in a new carrier. The latter would be easier I think. I removed the carrier and used a rubber mallet and flat piece of steel to gently drive a new seal into place, then remounted the carrier. I think you could mount without removing the carrier using the same method.
                            I had a thread on this in the now missing m3forum.
                            Yes, rear engine seal. I bought a seal that is already mounted in an installation guide thingy, but don't want to over or under install it. But I may be am being nit picky.

                            Comment


                            • JitteryJoe
                              JitteryJoe commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Youtube can be your friend here. I recall seeing a few videos on how to install. Also, you have to get the old one out.

                          • #15
                            Found some good info...thx Joe.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X