Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattDearPhoto
    replied
    In areas where the underseal has failed you need to take it back to a good area, dry it and grind/wire brush the metal back to clean, then treat it with a rust preventative like POR15 and then underseal it.

Of course this is all UK based knowledge and we have it much worse so may be overkill.

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    Originally posted by MattDearPhoto View Post
    You need to make the decision of a softer OEM type or a harder bed liner type.

But as said your best bet may be to just repair what is there rather than ripping it all off.
    I think I'm going to keep all the coating that's good and just spray over it with WURTH Winterproof Stoneguard - Black Over the bad parts, I'm going to remove the coating and use some type of primer and then WURTH since it's supposed to be similar to OEM.

Leave a comment:

• MattDearPhoto
    replied
    You need to make the decision of a softer OEM type or a harder bed liner type.

But as said your best bet may be to just repair what is there rather than ripping it all off.

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    I still haven't decided what to use.

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    Originally posted by MParallel View Post
    A trick is to drill small holes in the jackpads so water/moisture can seep through.

A lot of dirt and moisture collects inside them.
    Good idea!

Leave a comment:

• MParallel
    replied
    A trick is to drill small holes in the jackpads so water/moisture can seep through.

A lot of dirt and moisture collects inside them.

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
    Braymond141 Do you know if this is the correct undercoating to use for BMW? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241345&rt=rud

Also can this be applied to bare metal or do I need to spray some type of primer?
    Braymond141 ??

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    MattDearPhoto The restoration shop I checked out uses something like Raptor liner it's a bed liner. The owner has had it one his classic mustang for several years and it looks brand new, honestly looks to be much stronger than the factory coating from 1997. They had some 100k restoration cars they were working on and that's what they use due to it lasting so long I'm just on the fence on whether I want to use that or some rubber type of coating. I guess I'll do some more research.
    Last edited by Bimmerboy93; 08-28-2020, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JitteryJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post

JitteryJoe I called my local dealership and they don't sell the undercoating apparently none do. Did you spray some type of sealant before using the POR 15? Thanks!
    "Bare metal should be primed."
    https://qr.por15.com/QR-assets/downl...Directions.pdf

Leave a comment:

• MattDearPhoto
    replied
    Will either be a Wurth or 3M product. Being in the UK I’m all too familiar with rust and the underseal issues.

Poorly done underseal will create more issues than none at all as it traps moisture in. Everything needs to be correctly cleaned and treated before being coated.

If I was to do my own car I would probably use a product called Raptor Liner, as a strong colour tintable underseal. But I need to research if it can be applied over existing underseal. Ideally the bottom would be stripped clean before application.

Some places will prefer to just touch up any exposed areas rather than coat the entire car.

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Doesn't sound like a high end restoration shop if they are using the incorrect product to "restore" the underside. Bedliner isn't OEM correct, but it's up to you if you feel sold on that process.

California, I leave them on. We do not have issues with the dirt/water accumulation in the pads causing rust.
    Braymond141 Help me out, man! I know you got the knowledge!

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    For the rubbery undercoat I used POR-15 Rubberized Under Coating. So far it has held up.

I found Wurth to be good products generally but I have no experience with the paint you reference.

The BMW one listed has a part number 51910427677. getbmwparts lists it as no longer available. I'm not sure what the correct matching BMW product is.
    JitteryJoe I called my local dealership and they don't sell the undercoating apparently none do. Did you spray some type of sealant before using the POR 15? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JitteryJoe
    replied
    For the rubbery undercoat I used POR-15 Rubberized Under Coating. So far it has held up.

I found Wurth to be good products generally but I have no experience with the paint you reference.

The BMW one listed has a part number 51910427677. getbmwparts lists it as no longer available. I'm not sure what the correct matching BMW product is.

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    ECS tuning sells Wurth it's suppose to be factory BMW match. Has anybody used it? Any input from anybody? lol SOS

Leave a comment:

• Bimmerboy93
    replied
    Braymond141 Do you know if this is the correct undercoating to use for BMW? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241345&rt=rud

Also can this be applied to bare metal or do I need to spray some type of primer?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X