Jacks pads on or off? / Undercoating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks pads on or off? / Undercoating question

I noticed some minor surface rust on the jack point area of each jack point. The worst jack point still has the jack pad installed the other 3 are missing. My question is do you guys keep the jack pads installed or is it a better to remove them?

I took my car to a local highly rated restoration shop that does mostly higt end complete builds on hot rods and all types of custom work. I was advised they can grind away the minor rust clean it up and apply bed liner as the undercoat. I checked out some of there cars while in the shop and some cars that already were undercoated and the stuff seems really solid and strong. Do you guys think it's a good undercoating? if not what do you recommend?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bimmerboy93; 08-25-2020, 07:07 PM.

Doesn't sound like a high end restoration shop if they are using the incorrect product to "restore" the underside. Bedliner isn't OEM correct, but it's up to you if you feel sold on that process.

California, I leave them on. We do not have issues with the dirt/water accumulation in the pads causing rust.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
      Bimmerboy93 commented
      Editing a comment
      The shop def does quality work but I’m not sold on the bed liner for the car even though it does seem very durable. I’m in FL but the car spent some time in PA. They did advise me I can provide a different type of undercoating if I didn’t want to use the bed liner. Where can I get the OEM correct Coating?

Thanks!

Braymond141 Do you know if this is the correct undercoating to use for BMW? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241345&rt=rud

Also can this be applied to bare metal or do I need to spray some type of primer?

Comment

ECS tuning sells Wurth it's suppose to be factory BMW match. Has anybody used it? Any input from anybody? lol SOS

Comment

For the rubbery undercoat I used POR-15 Rubberized Under Coating. So far it has held up.

I found Wurth to be good products generally but I have no experience with the paint you reference.

The BMW one listed has a part number 51910427677. getbmwparts lists it as no longer available. I'm not sure what the correct matching BMW product is.
        Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post
          For the rubbery undercoat I used POR-15 Rubberized Under Coating. So far it has held up.

I found Wurth to be good products generally but I have no experience with the paint you reference.

The BMW one listed has a part number 51910427677. getbmwparts lists it as no longer available. I'm not sure what the correct matching BMW product is.
          JitteryJoe I called my local dealership and they don't sell the undercoating apparently none do. Did you spray some type of sealant before using the POR 15? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
            Doesn't sound like a high end restoration shop if they are using the incorrect product to "restore" the underside. Bedliner isn't OEM correct, but it's up to you if you feel sold on that process.

California, I leave them on. We do not have issues with the dirt/water accumulation in the pads causing rust.
            Braymond141 Help me out, man! I know you got the knowledge!

Comment

Will either be a Wurth or 3M product. Being in the UK I’m all too familiar with rust and the underseal issues.

Poorly done underseal will create more issues than none at all as it traps moisture in. Everything needs to be correctly cleaned and treated before being coated.

If I was to do my own car I would probably use a product called Raptor Liner, as a strong colour tintable underseal. But I need to research if it can be applied over existing underseal. Ideally the bottom would be stripped clean before application.

Some places will prefer to just touch up any exposed areas rather than coat the entire car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post

JitteryJoe I called my local dealership and they don't sell the undercoating apparently none do. Did you spray some type of sealant before using the POR 15? Thanks!
                "Bare metal should be primed."
                https://qr.por15.com/QR-assets/downl...Directions.pdf

Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

MattDearPhoto The restoration shop I checked out uses something like Raptor liner it's a bed liner. The owner has had it one his classic mustang for several years and it looks brand new, honestly looks to be much stronger than the factory coating from 1997. They had some 100k restoration cars they were working on and that's what they use due to it lasting so long I'm just on the fence on whether I want to use that or some rubber type of coating. I guess I'll do some more research.
                  Last edited by Bimmerboy93; 08-28-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
                    Braymond141 Do you know if this is the correct undercoating to use for BMW? https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241345&rt=rud

Also can this be applied to bare metal or do I need to spray some type of primer?
                    Braymond141 ??

Comment

A trick is to drill small holes in the jackpads so water/moisture can seep through.

A lot of dirt and moisture collects inside them.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                        A trick is to drill small holes in the jackpads so water/moisture can seep through.

A lot of dirt and moisture collects inside them.
                        Good idea!

Comment

I still haven't decided what to use.

Comment

You need to make the decision of a softer OEM type or a harder bed liner type.

But as said your best bet may be to just repair what is there rather than ripping it all off.

Comment

Working...
                            X