Powder coat s50 valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coat s50 valve cover

anyone experience powder coating these since they are magnesium material (vs plastic in OBD2). Wonder if anyone can recommend someone in norcal who can do it.

alternatively, there is one f/s but not sure if it is usable because it appears there's some runoff powdercoating underneath the matting edges:

Johal E32

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

That’s my valve cover in the photo. Already sold.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
        anyone experience powder coating these since they are magnesium material (vs plastic in OBD2). Wonder if anyone can recommend someone in norcal who can do it.
        Best to call around and ask if they can do magnesium. It is super susceptible to corrosion. I went through three looking for a replacement that wasn't turning into swiss cheese. I'm sure they will all say yes, but inquire about their process. Once stripped, it is supposed to be treated with chromic acid and rinsed thoroughly. Then primed with zinc chromate. But this is aerospace level treatment. I think if you can remove all of the oxidation then powder coat, it should last a long time.

This is what they looked like after degreasing which hid the condition before getting them home.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3e9b3a5e1a.jpg
        Last edited by h82crash; 08-04-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johal E32 View Post
          That’s my valve cover in the photo. Already sold.
          nice! do you actually do powder coating yourself?

Comment

• Johal E32
            Johal E32 commented
            Editing a comment
            I did not, it came with a S52 engine that I purchased last year. Personally, I would have asked the shop to leave the mating surfaces free and clear of any powdercoating material, but a light film of Hylomar or Drei Bond around the perimeter of the vcg should suffice. I did the same thing on my E90 M3 to prevent the magnesium powdercoated valve cover gaskets from leaking.

Are new ones from the dealer still magnesium? And will they show the same flaking as in your photo?

Comment

Originally posted by nalasivad View Post
            Are new ones from the dealer still magnesium? And will they show the same flaking as in your photo?
            yes as long as it is an m50/s50 motor it is. there hasn't been any revisions to the design unless you went s52.

Comment

thank you for the info.

Comment

Working...
              X