Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overfilling oil/ Valve cover gasket / Spark plugs - Questions

Overfilled oil -

I noticed my oil level was a little low What I thought was about one liter low. I added about half a liter of oil but it seemed to barely move on the dipstick, so I added a whole liter. The level was right on the full mark. I went for a short drive maybe 15 miles. I made two stops, I started to smell burning oil I chalked it up to the small amount of oil spilled while filling. I even popped the hood to make sure everything was ok, I saw nothing wrong. When I got home I popped the hood and noticed smoke coming from the back of the engine rear passenger side back of valve cover gasket. I checked the oil level it was overfilled right on the 1 mark on the dipstick.

Was my VC gasket leaking and maybe I made it worse by overfilling?

Valve cover gaskets - Should I use OEM gaskets or can I use Victor Reinz? What else should I replace while I'm there? Should I change all the gromets and bolts? or just gromets and or anything else?

Spark plugs - I was thinking about installing these plugs NGK (BKR6EIX ) https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ngk-part...20037608~ngk6/ Are these good for the S52 or should I go another route?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bimmerboy93; 08-03-2020, 06:55 AM.

Its from the small amount of oil you spilled. It runs along the top of the valve cover and down over to the rear passenger side of the motor.

Comment

jayjaya29 I think you're right I just didn't think I spilled enough to cause smoke and I panicked lol. I removed the plastic covers and there was a lot of oil that spilled on the right side next to the injectors rail. I clean it off and took a short drive I still smelled a little bit of oil but no smoke. I noticed with the engine cold the oil level was full but after I drove I waited a few minutes checked it again and it was showing overfilled. Should I remove some oil or is it safe to run?
      Last edited by Bimmerboy93; 08-03-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Bimmerboy93 yeah spilling on or near the valve cover will eventually cause smoke and the associated smell due to the heat there. The oil will also make its way around the back and to the exhaust side of the engine making the issue seem much worse than it actually is.

When checking the oil, I always leave the car parked on level ground overnight and check the oil level when the engine is completely cold the next day. I found that this gives the most accurate reading.

In terms of level, I usually run 0.5 liters over capacity. My dipstick usually shows around 1mm over the high mark.
        1995 M3
        https://www.mforum.net/forum/member-...-raj-s-1995-m3

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
          Bimmerboy93 commented
          Editing a comment
          When I check the oil cold it's right on the full mark. I also checked the oil 15-20 mins after driving it shows overfilled right on the dot on the dipstick. I was a bit worried it would damage the engine.

You can run a full quart over full without any issues.

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
          Bimmerboy93 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Jay!

Never spill again
        https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bav-auto.../b8800032~bav/

Use this all the time after giving up on free pours and wobbly funnels.
        Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

Overfilled? Last year I got a pos 93 325is shitbox gifted to me and when I drained the sump....10 quarts. Glad I used my large pan for changing oil in my diesel truck.

Comment

Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post
            Never spill again
            https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bav-auto.../b8800032~bav/

Use this all the time after giving up on free pours and wobbly funnels.
            Oh, that's nice!

Comment

I routinely keep my car over filled by a quart or so to minimize lifter tick.

Comment

Working...
              X