Steering Wheel Up and Down Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Up and Down Play

Yesterday I decided to install my e34 steering coupler. I got the new coupler in and went for the first test drive and noticed that I can move my steering wheel up and down a few mm. Today I went to the dealer and bought a new upper steering column bearing. I replaced the upper bearing and the problem is still there. Is the problem the lower steering column bearing? Would that cause up and down play in the steering wheel? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Well I figured out my issue. After I disconnected the steering shaft from the stock coupler to install the e34 coupler I some how messed up the spacing between the steering wheel and upper bearing. There is 2 spacers and a snap ring behind the wheel. When I took the steering wheel off to take another look I could see that there was a gap between the first spacer and the snap ring. To resolve the issue I installed a shim where that gap was. This got rid of my verticle play in the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSmith916 View Post
      Well I figured out my issue. After I disconnected the steering shaft from the stock coupler to install the e34 coupler I some how messed up the spacing between the steering wheel and upper bearing. There is 2 spacers and a snap ring behind the wheel. When I took the steering wheel off to take another look I could see that there was a gap between the first spacer and the snap ring. To resolve the issue I installed a shim where that gap was. This got rid of my verticle play in the steering wheel.
      You probably mixed up the collars or have one installed backwards. One collar has a snap-ring recess in it.

I would redo the job correctly.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

I thought I might have mixed them up also. I took the wheel off and inspected it, and I had them in the correct order. Then I had a local bmw shop look at it. They told me there was too big of a space between the first collar/spacer and the snap ring. They recommend I add a thin shim inbetween the first collar and snap ring. So I put everything on in this order: 1st collar, shim, snap ring, then the collar with the recess. This got rid of my steering wheel play. Im still confused how I manged to mess things up and create extra space between these collars, but its fixed now atleast.

Comment

Working...
        X