Blowing fuse 46 after spoiler install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing fuse 46 after spoiler install

Today I installed an OEM spoiler with the third brake light. I spliced the power and ground wires into the original trunk harness. Now whenever I push the brake, fuse 46 (the brake light fuse) blows. Any help is appreciated!!

Start by disconnecting the light bar in the spoiler. Does it still pop a fuse?

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      Start by disconnecting the light bar in the spoiler. Does it still pop a fuse?
      no, I undid the spoiler wiring to the brake light wiring and the fuse no longer blows, so it must have something to do with the spoiler wires (power and ground)

Comment

A wire must be bridging somewhere along the wiring or your light bar has damage causing a short. Postitive and Negative are not an issue with incandescent bulbs.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
          A wire must be bridging somewhere along the wiring or your light bar has damage causing a short. Postitive and Negative are not an issue with incandescent bulbs.
          Ok. I'm currently pretty stumped. Wiring is not my specialty haha so I've just wired the brake lights w/o the spoiler light for now just so I can drive the car without blowing a fuse. From what I saw there were no exposed wires or breaks in the wires anywhere. Maybe the light bar is damaged like you said. Still not sure where to go from here 😅. As always an e36 install that complicates things more than they should haha!

Comment

Diagnosing it with blown fuses rather than a multimeter seems wasteful but hey, if you don't have a mltimeter... if you plug the third light back in and remove one of the normal brake bulbs does it still blow? If not, go up 5A on the fuse and plug everything back in and try again. What amperage rating is fuse 46 prescribed and used?

If you remove all of the lamps from the third light and try with everything else plugged in what happens? You need to determine whether it's load or short related.
            Last edited by M3AN; 07-25-2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X