New options for GT wing replica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New options for GT wing replica?

So what is the latest option for a GT wing rep? It's sad to see that many of the good replicas don't seem to be produced anymore. I know Mashaw supposedly makes them still but I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

Been on the hunt for about a year for an OE one..

Mashaw still makes it but the risers don't have the recessed portions on the inside where hardware would be. Mike makes race parts so it would take a lot of prep to get it to look good.
    Ebay rep's. Some have a dip in the middle referred to as sag but its actually poor molds. Others, the riser and edges are not angled and stand too vertically. The most ebay success has been from polish sellers.
    Old stock lester/abraham's: not much cheaper than a used OE wing now.
    A company who did PTG work in georgia (?) but its $2500.

There is a thread here: lots of reading and its still active.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Thread/page61

Comment

Originally posted by bimmertav View Post
      Been on the hunt for about a year for an OE one..

Mashaw still makes it but the risers don't have the recessed portions on the inside where hardware would be. Mike makes race parts so it would take a lot of prep to get it to look good.
      Ebay rep's. Some have a dip in the middle referred to as sag but its actually poor molds. Others, the riser and edges are not angled and stand too vertically. The most ebay success has been from polish sellers.
      Old stock lester/abraham's: not much cheaper than a used OE wing now.
      A company who did PTG work in georgia (?) but its $2500.

There is a thread here: lots of reading and its still active.
      https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Thread/page61

yeah ok all that info sounds about right with all that I know. It's a bummer that there aren't more companies making these

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post

yeah ok all that info sounds about right with all that I know. It's a bummer that there aren't more companies making these
        Agreed - if there was, I would imagine their costs would need to be in line with Mashaw. These would not be an easy thing to produce!
        Let me know if you dig up any more useful info! I've been hunting for a while!

Comment

Precision Composites makes the best replica wing, although I'm unsure if you can get it without the PTG prototype third brake light molded in. The risers from his are copied off originals that a member here supplied to him.

The sag noted above with other replicas isn't necessarily a bad mold. The OE top uses a metal rod to help hold the shape over time. Chris West read about this and I confirmed it using a stud finder.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

so $2500 for a 4 piece carbon replica, not bad price for what it is, but not inexpensive by any means

Comment

Where do you view/purchase Precision Composites wings?
              Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post
                I saw the price and what they looked like on their facebook profile

Comment

You need to message them from their Facebook page or call.

Comment

Thanks Brett! I just have to decide to wing or not to wing. I'm a bit on the fence.
                    Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

Thanks Brett! I just have to decide to wing or not to wing. I'm a bit on the fence.
                      In my opinion, your car deserves the real thing. If you want assistance finding one, I can do my best to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

In my opinion, your car deserves the real thing. If you want assistance finding one, I can do my best to find one.
                        🙋‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

That is a very generous offer. Let me IM you.
                          Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

There's one for sale on EK right now, will need a bit of repair: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...43702-223-6278

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                              There's one for sale on EK right now, will need a bit of repair: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...43702-223-6278
                              I don't think that guy wants to ship
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X