No announcement yet.

Clutch or gearbox chatter normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe stock clutch disks are sprung. I'm betting the transmission is coming off. Can the shop diagnose? 144K on the original clutch, it would not be a surprise if the clutch (and the related parts) needed addressing

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
      Bimmerboy93 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will be taking it to the shop soon. What do you mean the transmission is coming off?

JitteryJoe Yeah your right the stock clutch does not have springs. I'm also not 100% sure if the clutch has been changed it would be funny if there is a lightweight flywheel installed. The current clutch grips very well and all gears shift great no grinds or pop-outs. One other thing I noticed is that when I first start the car after it's been sitting overnight the noise is gone until I engage the clutch then the party starts.

Comment

You could change the transmission oil to something like Redline MTL and see if that reduces the chatter. That would be an inexpensive test especially if you do it yourself.

If you are not comfortable getting under your car then you either live with it and see if something breaks (not recommended) or have a reputable shop diagnose. At 20+ years old and some 140K+ miles, maintenance becomes an ongoing issue and expense. One reason many of us do our own work whenever possible. Plus it is very satisfying to do.

Comment

JitteryJoe I'm getting it checked out on Friday we'll see what happens. I know I def need some bushing replaced as well which ones I'm not sure yet. I also have a rubbing sound when the wheel is turned full lock. Trust me I know I have a 2002 540 that I've spent a lot of pennies on. Which redline oil exactly? what weight?

I def need to stop being lazy and get some stuff done on my one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
          JitteryJoe I'm getting it checked out on Friday we'll see what happens. I know I def need some bushing replaced as well which ones I'm not sure yet. I also have a rubbing sound when the wheel is turned full lock. Trust me I know I have a 2002 540 that I've spent a lot of pennies on. Which redline oil exactly? what weight?

I def need to stop being lazy and get some stuff done on my one for sure.
          https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Fairly common manual transmission oil used. You'll get a ton of opinions on what oil to use. This is a good one. I buy the gallon size from Amazon. There are other good ones as well.
          Regardless, I would get a mechanic to check everything out.

Comment

I met another member with the same exact sound that goes away when the clutch is press in. He replaced the clutch but the chatter is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
              I met another member with the same exact sound that goes away when the clutch is press in. He replaced the clutch but the chatter is still there.
              You really need to have a mechanic check it out. Also, not knowing if the clutch/flywheel is stock makes it very difficult to give an opinion. Single mass aftermarket flywheels cause chatter. Stock flywheels should not. Knowing which of the two is running in the car makes all the difference. From what you describe, it sounds like single mass. If so, chatter is normal and using the right transmission oil will help but not eliminate.

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
                Bimmerboy93 commented
                Editing a comment
                I had two mechanic's check it out and both believe it's the throwout bearing. But I'm reading it can be the input shaft bearing as well. When I mentioned the issue possibly being the input shaft bearing my mechanic advised that has never been the case from his experience.

I mean if you're going to replace the release bearing, the whole clutch has to come out. So even though it stings a little you really should just do the whole job. Especially if it's 165k on the original clutch.

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
                Bimmerboy93 commented
                Editing a comment
                For sure I wouldn't bother just replacing the bearing. I will do the clutch, rear main seal, Guibo, tranny mounts, And whatever else I can.

That's the spirit! Get in there and get it all sorted out.

Comment

Working...
              X