Clutch or gearbox chatter normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch or gearbox chatter normal?

I noticed while in Neutral there a chatter/rattling sound that goes away when I press the clutch in the noise completely goes away. The car runs good and shifts into gears with no issue. My mechanic thinks it's the throwout bearing I have read a lot on the subject and it seems it can be a few different things and apparently it's a harmless annoying noise?

Gearbox is what makes the chatter, not the clutch. This is caused by using a solid mass flywheel in place of the dual-mass which acts as a harmonic balancer. This is normal, although not always pleasant.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
      I noticed while in Neutral there a chatter/rattling sound that goes away when I press the clutch in the noise completely goes away. The car runs good and shifts into gears with no issue. My mechanic thinks it's the throwout bearing I have read a lot on the subject and it seems it can be a few different things and apparently it's a harmless annoying noise?
      You running a non-stock clutch setup?
      Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

Yup running stock clutch and the noise is annoying AF lol

Comment

Braymond141 So everybody has the cha cha chatter? Is there Any way to minimize it or do I just need to live with it? Soo changing the clutch will have no effect on the sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
            Yup running stock clutch and the noise is annoying AF lol
            The clutch isn't the issue, the flywheel is. Are you running a stock flywheel or no?

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
              Bimmerboy93 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm running a stock clutch/flywheel.

Braymond141 I'm running a stock clutch/flywheel.

Comment

Braymond141 So I shouldn't worry about it?

Comment

That is not a normal sound for a stock flywheel and clutch setup.

Comment

Braymond141 I spoke to the original owner who owned the car for 20 years the never changed the clutch and sold the car with 144k miles it has 165k miles now I'm just assuming I guess that the previous owner did not replace the clutch/flywheel. I'm not concerned but also confused. I read a lot f contradicting information online. Some say input shaft bearing in the tranny others say throw out bearing. Not only that but it seems pretty common even with the stock clutch/flywheel as I've found a lot of related threads.

One other thing I've noticed it I might need tranny mounts or motors mounts, maybe a new guibo. I feel a thump sometimes in 1st and 2nd gear unless I'm smooth with it. Where should I start? how concerned should I be? the care does run and shift well besides the noise.

Thanks!!!!
                  Last edited by Bimmerboy93; 06-16-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Transmission mounts, motor mounts and giubo would be the easiest to address. An inspection of these would be a good start. Could be multiple failures.
                    If I were replacing the trans mounts & giubo, I'd be very tempted just to yank the transmission as well and go after the clutch. If a shop is doing all the work then spend may become an issue. I don't know your tolerance here.
                    Joe's 1998 M3 Journal

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
                      Bimmerboy93 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would be paying a shop to do the work which I know won't be cheap. I just don't want to replace the clutch if I don't need to. The clutch grips really well and the car shifts without issues. I'm stuck on what to do.

I found this video and I think it may be my issue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DE4iPLOhE

Comment

Why don't you take a video of your own car and let us hear it?

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
                        Bimmerboy93 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Posted two clips.

Here’s a couple of videos. https://www.instagram.com/p/CBgv2OYA...d=b7wdckg9ol2b

Comment

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBgwSoiA...=1i2lxlmrjccxi

Comment

Working...
                        X