No announcement yet.

Best oil for S52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My S50B32 doesn't burn any oil at all and that has both "increased output" and "maximum engine speed" than the S52. The reasons that manual text above ^ provides are pure BS.

Oil is easy, it's only subjectivity that makes it seem complicated:
    • Use a quality brand of full synthetic oil
    • Use the thinnest operating temp weight (the last number on the oil) you can, your climate and driving demands determine this
    • Use a winter weight suitable for your climate and, unless you live in the north of Canada, that's going to be a 5w, 10w or even 20w oil
    • Minimise the gap between the two viscosities, i.e. if it's suitable for your climate and driving demands a 15w40 will be better than a 5w40 (all other things being equal)
    And the only rule that breaks this formula is if the manufacturer recommends or mandates a specific viscosity (hello S54) and in that case, always listen to the manufacturer.

Even a regional handbook that spans multiple climates won't have the ideal spec for each of the climates.

Comment

Motul 8100 5w40

Comment

Originally posted by M3AN View Post
        My S50B32 doesn't burn any oil at all and that has both "increased output" and "maximum engine speed" than the S52. The reasons that manual text above ^ provides are pure BS.

Oil is easy, it's only subjectivity that makes it seem complicated:
        • Use a quality brand of full synthetic oil
        • Use the thinnest operating temp weight (the last number on the oil) you can, your climate and driving demands determine this
        • Use a winter weight suitable for your climate and, unless you live in the north of Canada, that's going to be a 5w, 10w or even 20w oil
        • Minimise the gap between the two viscosities, i.e. if it's suitable for your climate and driving demands a 15w40 will be better than a 5w40 (all other things being equal)
        And the only rule that breaks this formula is if the manufacturer recommends or mandates a specific viscosity (hello S54) and in that case, always listen to the manufacturer.

Even a regional handbook that spans multiple climates won't have the ideal spec for each of the climates.
        That is a good general set of rules.

Comment

Liqui Moly 5w40 from FcpEuro here and have 0 complaints

Comment

• Bimmerboy93
            Bimmerboy93 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I decided to use.
        Working...
        X