Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best oil for S52?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best oil for S52?

    Hi Everybody,


    I just got an M3 with an S52 motor 160k miles located and hot FL what oil do you guys recommend?


    Thanks!

  • #2
    Honestly, S52 is so robust, any fully synthetic 5W30 from a respectable manufacturer would be fine. Castrol, Liqui Moly, Shell.

    Comment


    • #3
      TexaZ3 Should I run a slightly thicker oil since I'm in Florida?

      Comment


      • #4
        The previous owner of my m3 used 10w60 liqui moly during his 9 years of ownership. I continued to use that simply because its what the car has been running before. For a short time I switched to 0w40 by mobil and really didnt notice a difference. The only time I noticed a difference was after long trips where the car got very warm. The engine gave off more valvetrain noise and from time to time on cold starts after a long heat cycle from the day before it would have lifter tick for the first 30 seconds of start up. I switched back to 10w60 and the engine sounded quiter and didnt get the occasional tick on start up any more. Just my personal experience..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
          TexaZ3 Should I run a slightly thicker oil since I'm in Florida?
          I'm in Texas and both my S52s been getting 5W30 for years with no ill effects. BMW recommends is for S52 I believe. You can run slightly thinker oil, I guess.

          Originally posted by StevenSmith916 View Post
          The previous owner of my m3 used 10w60 liqui moly during his 9 years of ownership. I continued to use that simply because its what the car has been running before. For a short time I switched to 0w40 by mobil and really didnt notice a difference. The only time I noticed a difference was after long trips where the car got very warm. The engine gave off more valvetrain noise and from time to time on cold starts after a long heat cycle from the day before it would have lifter tick for the first 30 seconds of start up. I switched back to 10w60 and the engine sounded quiter and didnt get the occasional tick on start up any more. Just my personal experience..
          10W60 is way too thick for everyday driving. I would not use Mobil in my car either.

          Comment


          • #6
            TexaZ3 I've always used Castrol for my 540. I might just stick with Castrol and go with the 5W30 or maybe give liquid molly a try. Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bimmerboy93 View Post
              Hi Everybody,


              I just got an M3 with an S52 motor 160k miles located and hot FL what oil do you guys recommend?


              Thanks!
              You'll likely get as many opinions as there are members of the forum

              Comment


              • #8
                ~10 yrs I've owned my '99, I've used 5-30 mobil fully synthetic (Walmart has good deals) and the S52 has responded nicely without complaint.
                Last edited by btheo; 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

                  I'm in Texas and both my S52s been getting 5W30 for years with no ill effects. BMW recommends is for S52 I believe. You can run slightly thinker oil, I guess.



                  10W60 is way too thick for everyday driving. I would not use Mobil in my car either.
                  Depends on oil consumption. I had to run 10w60 in my 96 as oil consumption lived up to the manual's ~worst case usage, over a quart every 1,000 miles... and that was using 10w60. BMW considered 2.5qts per 1,000 NORMAL, ugh!



                  If your engine has low oil consumption, use the thinnest oil you can get away with that meets specification.

                  MSportParts | Braymond141

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My engine was rebuilt and modified. The engine builder was quite adamant about what oil to use. Falling into "he's the expert", I use Driven Racing Oil High Zinc Synthetic 10W-40. Expensive.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I run 15w50 Redline or Liqui Moly

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've been running the FCP Euro 5w40 LiquiMoly special and don't seem to use much at all over the course.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I know it’s not exactly the same, but my s50 seems to be happiest on Mobil 15w50. I might try 10w60 next though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Liquimoly 10w40 gives me the least oil consumption out of any of the oils. Next to nothing. The difference between it and some other oils has been substantial.

                            Comment


                            • Bimmerboy93
                              Bimmerboy93 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I decided to try Liquimoly 5w40

                          • #15
                            Pakelo 10w60 for me. Next to zero oil consumption. Less valvetrain noise from the 5w40 I used previously.

                            Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3/2/5 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3/2/5

                            Instagram

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X