Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in '95 and '96-'99 B16 coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in '95 and '96-'99 B16 coilovers?

I'm considering buying a used set of B16 coils and it seems that Bilstein sells a 95 version and a 96-99 version. Does anyone know the difference between the two? I'm guessing it has to do with the upper spring plate difference between the two, but not exactly sure. Thanks!

Your assessment should be correct.

There's also an issue with the rear adjusters for the non rebound adjustable "H&R" coilover kit that Bilstein makes. 10/96 and older use solid smaller diameter axles and 11/96+ use hollow axles with a larger diameter that hits the adjuster when the car is lowered too much. Not applicable to the PSS9 kit you are looking at. Random info drop.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      Your assessment should be correct.

There's also an issue with the rear adjusters for the non adjustable "H&R" kit that Bilstein makes. 10/96 and older use solid smaller diameter axles and 11/96+ use hollow axles with a larger diameter that hits the adjuster when the car is lowered too much. Not applicable to the PSS9 kit you are looking at. Random info drop.
      ahh good to know, thanks Brett!

Comment

The only difference I'm aware of is the regular vs Clubsport version. But info is widespread and npt consistent.

I bought a set of B16's in 2009 and triple checked I got the M3 version (I didn't have my M3 yet then), as I wanted to fit longer M3 droplinks to make the stock arb's more efficient. To my surprise my (correct) M3 kit came with non-M droplink, as the shocks in the set didn't provide for a shock mounted droplink.

I later realized my set was different to other sets, but as far as I know, not the Clubsport version.

But compared to other (generic) pics, my set came with longer combo spring/helper spring, taking up space for a droplink mount. Also, they have a liniair and equal-width spring on them, not the normally pictures progressive spring (that flares out in width.

Now 11 years later I'm puzzled, still. But oh well, they work

p.s. what I really dislike, is the rear perch sits inside the wishbone, below the spring, while for example the KW V3 has the perch between spring and chassis.
        The Bilstein setup prevents adjustment with the perch in situ, as the 'cavity' of the wishbone prevents the adjustment wrenches to fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	2417
        Last edited by MParallel; 05-27-2020, 08:11 AM. Reason: p.s. added

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
          The only difference I'm aware of is the regular vs Clubsport version. But info is widespread and npt consistent.

I bought a set of B16's in 2009 and triple checked I got the M3 version (I didn't have my M3 yet then), as I wanted to fit longer M3 droplinks to make the stock arb's more efficient. To my surprise my (correct) M3 kit came with non-M droplink, as the shocks in the set didn't provide for a shock mounted droplink.

I later realized my set was different to other sets, but as far as I know, not the Clubsport version.

But compared to other (generic) pics, my set came with longer combo spring/helper spring, taking up space for a droplink mount. Also, they have a liniair and equal-width spring on them, not the normally pictures progressive spring (that flares out in width.

Now 11 years later I'm puzzled, still. But oh well, they work

p.s. what I really dislike, is the rear perch sits inside the wishbone, below the spring, while for example the KW V3 has the perch between spring and chassis.
          The Bilstein setup prevents adjustment with the perch in situ, as the 'cavity' of the wishbone prevents the adjustment wrenches to fit.

Click image for larger version Name:	08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	2417
          thanks for the additional info! That's cool you're still running them after all this time. I'm still unsure on whether or not I should pick them up because the Bilstein's don't seem to have the height adjustability I'm looking for.

Comment

They have held up well indeed. Never rebuilt serviced and around 100 laps Nordschleife included.

I have seen shockmounts for the droplinks that clamp on.
            I’m not too bothered but I could remove the helper springs and fit one of these collars.

Comment

Working...
            X