Valve cover gasket S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover gasket S52

Quick question - do I need any sealant for the valve cover gasket on S52? I have done several in the past (on different engines), and never needed any sealant, but all of the videos I watched call for some. Is S52 somehow different, or is it just precaution? My old gasket didn't have any sealant on it or the block when I removed it. It wasn't leaking either - just old. Any thoughts?

Sealant at the half moon edges and the vanos seams. I’m sure you can get away with none, but sealant is noted in the BMW TIS.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...th-lid/B1uxNMC

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post
      Sealant at the half moon edges and the vanos seams. I’m sure you can get away with none, but sealant is noted in the BMW TIS.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...th-lid/B1uxNMC
      Yeah, saw that too, just feels like a hack job to me for some reason. I guess I'll see if it starts leaking. I did put it back together without any sealant.

Comment

Just a tiny dab will do.

On my M3 I didn’t bother and even reused the old one (which is made of a different material than the M5x) and no problem at all. This was back in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
          Just a tiny dab will do.

On my M3 I didn’t bother and even reused the old one (which is made of a different material than the M5x) and no problem at all. This was back in 2015.
          So far, no leaks after a couple of spirited drives. So I think all is good.

Comment

FYI the sealant BMW recommends is their drei bond sealant, part # 07589062376

Comment

• BMWM3
              BMWM3 commented
              Editing a comment
              I needed that number thank you.
          Working...
          X