Paint Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Correction

So my 95 hellrot has severe rotational scratching from what I presume to be a failed buffing attempt from the previous owner. What do you guys recommend for paint correction that’s also idiot proof? I haven’t delved much into detailing and am worried about damaging the clear coat . Should I just have a professional do a once over and maintain it from there?

I would go with a professional. The right equipment and supplies are expensive and then you have to deal with the fact you have no experience. Paint correction is a combination of art and skill and takes practice to get it right.

Comment

A paint correction is definitely something you can DIY but a professional job is worth the money. Its expensive to purchase the tools and supplies you would need. And then it takes lots of time to figure out what the LEAST aggressive cut/polish you can do is. You want to maintain as much paint as possible. You also want to manage the heat and residue. Too much heat can actually make your clear delaminate - something that plagues e36's already. If you want to DIY it, I'd suggest getting lots of test panels from a scrap yard to test on first.

Comment

Especially if you think the car has already had work done I would take it to a professional and then do your best to maintain it to a good standard.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, will probably take have it done by a pro.

Comment

You could always try some Meguiars or similar consumer grade product. I'm a huge fan of gorgeous looking paint, but I'm a bigger fan of preservation of materials so you can enjoy the original paint for years to come. A bottle of meguiars ultimate polish applied by hand can get some pretty decent results. Its an ultra safe product. At less than $20 bucks, some elbow grease and ensuring each panel is incredibly clean - you may take enough haze and swirling out that you will be happy with your paint. After that, a nice glaze or just good trusty wax will make it shine. Again - I'm all about preserving factory paint.

Comment

I paid either $300 or $400 for a very solid paint correction and detailing last summer (my car is also Hellrot) Highly recommend letting someone who knows how to properly operate an orbital polisher do the work.

Comment

You can get a very nice orbital, set of pads, and a trial set of polishing compounds from Amazon for like $150-170. Try it, and if you do't like it or can't do it, return it.
                This - is an EXCELLENT set:
                https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-...0636556&sr=8-2

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                  You can get a very nice orbital, set of pads, and a trial set of polishing compounds from Amazon for like $150-170. Try it, and if you do't like it or can't do it, return it.
                  This - is an EXCELLENT set:
                  https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-...0636556&sr=8-2
                  how have you liked that orbital so far? I feel like I always hear such mixed reviews about Chemical Guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post

how have you liked that orbital so far? I feel like I always hear such mixed reviews about Chemical Guys.
                    I love mine. I'm not a professional, but I assume neither are you, or you wouldn't be asking this question Its a great machine and I like their polishing compounds very much.

Comment

If you decide to do it yourself youtube.com has enough "how to" videos to make you dizzy – a good source before putting machine to car. I recently got a trunk lid from a junk yard to practice on. Might want to look into doing that.

Comment

Working...
                      X