No announcement yet.

Clutch kit and flywheel recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch kit and flywheel recommendation.

So at 87k miles, I drove the car aggressively and felt the clutch can use an upgrade. I was reading on different forums that some guys recommend this or that.
    This car will not be in any race or a drift. This will be a weekend car with some aggressive driving. I would like one step upgrade from stock. What do you guys recommend? I don’t mind upgrading the flywheel at the same time.

If you are still naturally aspirated, then you will see no benefit from an upgrade and likely have some downsides. The stock clutch can handle aggressive driving and is quite nice.
    If you have an earlier car, the later s52s got a lighter flywheel that is about the same money. A fresh dual mass flywheel can make a difference. If you'd like something even lighter, I'd look at some of the steel flywheels that use the e34 M5 clutch. You may get some gear rattle at idle however.

Comment

Originally posted by medgingt View Post
      If you are still naturally aspirated, then you will see no benefit from an upgrade and likely have some downsides. The stock clutch can handle aggressive driving and is quite nice.
      If you have an earlier car, the later s52s got a lighter flywheel that is about the same money. A fresh dual mass flywheel can make a difference. If you'd like something even lighter, I'd look at some of the steel flywheels that use the e34 M5 clutch. You may get some gear rattle at idle however.
      ECS has this package:
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...000282ecs01kt/
      it eliminates self adjusting clutch and the factory dual mass flywheel.

Comment

I have a single mass flywheel, a JB Racing steel. Very good quality but I do get rattle. Not terribly but definitely there at idle. Likely I would go the stock route if I were to do it again. But I would do a lot of things differently if given a mulligan.

Comment

^same, the rattle doesn't bother me anymore but at first I was kind of annoyed by it.

Comment

I also vote stock clutch. For me it’s really something that should only be done when absolutely necessary, as uprated clutches almost always have drawbacks that are annoying

Comment

I had a ltw flywheel and a stage 2 sprung clutch. Over the 60k miles I drove on that setup, the chatter increasingly annoyed me. I couldn't wait to replace it with stock. Also, that clutch only lasted said 60k miles. I'd say that was partly due to the fact I found myself having to ride it a bit more from a standstill to have a smooth start. Hills with the ltw flywheel were even more fun!

Comment

• Positiveions
                Positiveions commented
                Editing a comment
                Appreciate your feedback and response.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with the ECS clutch & flywheel kit? They claim no chatter with their heavier steel single mass flywheel, but some of the reviews on their site suggest otherwise.

Comment

I've been reading about this noise for awhile. Why does ZF and Getrag rattle when an 11 lb aluminum FW on my 500 hp 347 Shelby Cobra with an T5 Astro Super Alloy, or ANY other transmission does not? (Says the guy who has a lightweight flywheel and stg 2 clutch on the shelf to go in soon.)

Just, imho, the super heavy stock FW is fine for going to 7-Eleven for a Big Gulp, but for any spirited driving, it makes for scary downshifts.
                Last edited by h82crash; 06-05-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirhodjibob View Post
                  Does anyone have firsthand experience with the ECS clutch & flywheel kit? They claim no chatter with their heavier steel single mass flywheel, but some of the reviews on their site suggest otherwise.
                  I have a steel single mass with a sprung disk. It rattles even though the steel FW is heavier than aluminum by quite a bit. Helps to use the right oil in the transmission (Redline MTL here), but I think they all rattle some.

Comment

Working...
                  X