Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTC 212 - VANOS Jamming but runs great

Hi,
    I replaced my vanos seals as a "while I'm in there" and am now getting a DTC 212 code. On a 20 mile drive INPA registered 4 instances (not sure how accurate that is). The CEL doesn't come on typically till the 2nd or 3rd start. It runs really well, no loss of bottom end or surging at 3000 like it does when it is mistimed.

I set timing using the locks and the air adapter to cycle the vanos. Cycled several times with exhaust bolts lose to confirm movement, and then locked it down with vanos in the non-energized position (air pressure on, 12v off). I then confirmed the 8mm travel with the exhaust bolts locked down and cam blocks off. Turned it over 720degrees and rechecked TDC. All good. Like I said the car runs great. I've also checked the solenoid piston moves freely.

The only thing I did not love while installing was that it seemed like it took too much rotation for the vanos gear to catch. I redid that step 4 times confirming it was indeed the first tooth, but I marked the chain and it moved maybe 5mm, which seemed like more than it should. I figured if I have full travel of the vanos and all then it was inconsequential but obviously now I'm wondering perhaps not.

Am I ever so slightly mistimed? I'm wondering if I should rock the intake cam within the timing block to see if I can get the vanos gear to catch sooner.

Any help is appreciated.

Martin

That's interesting. Using the air actuation method to set the position should guarantee perfection. I think you may be right, it may be your splined gear portion of the install. There is a "magic tooth" with single VANOS and you have to identify/mark it when the splined gear is removed during the rattle fix. You can do it with the gear installed but it requires some creativity with a mirror and light. When you have the sweet spot identified you don't even need to move the exhaust sprocket to search for engagement.

I made this video to demonstrate how to mark that sweet spot during the rebuild process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK43OPS7WqQ

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

That video is so satisfying. Sorry to derail.

Comment

And here's the equivalent for the Euro double VANOS: S50B32_VANOS_Splined_Shaft_Insertion.mp4

It's sort-of difficult to get it wrong really, I was almost paranoid about getting that right the first time I did this because of what I'd read. It ended up being a bit of a lol moment. Subsequent attempts have taken me much less time.

Comment

I did reset it and moved the secondary chain one link, which enabled the VANOS gear to engage almost right away while inserting the VANOS unit. This solved the CEL. Also, the air tool should be more widely used. It's cheap and very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by medgingt View Post
            I did reset it and moved the secondary chain one link, which enabled the VANOS gear to engage almost right away while inserting the VANOS unit. This solved the CEL. Also, the air tool should be more widely used. It's cheap and very helpful.
            Awesome! Glad it was a straight forward fix. You should have a few extra horsepowers from it being correct now too.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Working...
            X