X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Jackstand Recall

Fyi-as I know some of the folks here have these:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33572/...denly-collapse

I have a set of 6 ton bought during the period called out. I'll check the product numbers. I know that HF tools are generally of lower quality, but dangerous is another story.

Comment

Oh wow, good looking out. I'll check mine. I know a lot of people have these.

Comment

I have officially decided to pull the trigger and purchase a set of Esco 10499 which are flat top jack stands. there goes another $240 bucks but at least these jacks looked like they were design for the e36 from the get go.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
          I have officially decided to pull the trigger and purchase a set of Esco 10499 which are flat top jack stands. there goes another $240 bucks but at least these jacks looked like they were design for the e36 from the get go.
          Waste of money. 6-ton Harbor Freight stands are better, even the recall ones. 3-ton are useless for real car work and not that safe, especially at max extension.

"Unsafe" pawls are pretty much an issue with any jack stand of that style. You can eliminate risks by keeping the pawls inside the car body or using zip ties to hold them down or obviously buy the revised version.

That's just my opinion though. I recently ditched all my 3-ton in favor of 6-ton and will never go back.

MSportParts | Braymond141

Comment

Sometimes, while working under my e36, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if my Harbor Freight jack stands failed.
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by SpaghettiM3 View Post
              Sometimes, while working under my e36, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if my Harbor Freight jack stands failed.
              Interesting point of view. Because you check out doing what you love or the frustration makes you want to pull the rip cord?

Comment

Originally posted by SpaghettiM3 View Post
                loool

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

Waste of money. 6-ton Harbor Freight stands are better, even the recall ones. 3-ton are useless for real car work and not that safe, especially at max extension.

"Unsafe" pawls are pretty much an issue with any jack stand of that style. You can eliminate risks by keeping the pawls inside the car body or using zip ties to hold them down or obviously buy the revised version.

That's just my opinion though. I recently ditched all my 3-ton in favor of 6-ton and will never go back.
                  I'm actually kind of surprised you don't have a lift at home, considering all the work you do. I mean hell, I would have one if I had the space and I don't even have a clue what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post

Interesting point of view. Because you check out doing what you love or the frustration makes you want to pull the rip cord?
                    The ladder lol
                    Instagram

Comment

Quickjack is what I use and I love it. At 5000 lbs is plentiful for the jobs that I do. Raises the car about 21”.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

I'm actually kind of surprised you don't have a lift at home, considering all the work you do. I mean hell, I would have one if I had the space and I don't even have a clue what I'm doing.
                        I don't have the garage height to utilize one. A friend and I were about to sign a lease on a shop in March, but 2020 had other plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Braymond141 View Post

I don't have the garage height to utilize one. A friend and I were about to sign a lease on a shop in March, but 2020 had other plans.
                          Ain't that the truth. I was about to move to island acreage out of Seattle but life took several unexpected turns. Hoping 2021 brings some level of normalcy.

Comment

Originally posted by Positiveions View Post
                            Quickjack is what I use and I love it. At 5000 lbs is plentiful for the jobs that I do. Raises the car about 21”.
                            I'd like to go this route, my back would thank me.
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by JitteryJoe View Post

Ain't that the truth. I was about to move to island acreage out of Seattle but life took several unexpected turns. Hoping 2021 brings some level of normalcy.
                              I sure hope so too.

Comment

Working...
                              X